Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need canned tuna ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sister has finally begun to listen to me on seasoning…
    She made a tuna salad this week, that was the bomb!
    Best I’ve had to date…
    When I left for the farm, she told me what we’d have for supper…
    She and I take care of our aged Mom… so Mom has to be able to eat the fixing’s…
    I recommended saving a portion to dress with a French’s yellow mustard - Duke’s Mayo - candied hot pepper I blend… It’s very good and goes well on everything… from ribs to salads…
    she did, but she also used pickled quail eggs we made this summer and horseradish sauce… which she’s begun to put in potato salad…
    The potato salad and tuna salad benefited mightily with these changes…
    Something to consider…

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Pickled quail eggs are a staple for me, even keep some in my NY office to run people out when I am tired of them.

• Washblue
      Washblue commented
      Editing a comment
      I forgot to say they were smoked in the pit before pickling, texastweeter … this quart jar was the first we had made… and there’s a bunch that fit in a quart jar!

I keep a stash of the foil packets at the office, put it over rice with a little soy sauce and rice vinegar.

Comment

Tuna with mashed avocado, squeezed lime or lemon juice, roasted red peppers,garlic salt,black pepper on multi-grain bread. You could throw on a little red onion and tomato slices on if desired

Comment

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        Now on my to do list...and soon. Very soon. Next week for lunch one day soon

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, but are you gonna do it soon?

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John
        Sooner rather than later 👍

If you have access to a microwave, I take tuna & mix in leftover mashed potatoes then pan fry them until crisp on both sides. Tuna Cakes.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Watch out for the sparks!

• Finster
        Finster commented
        Editing a comment
        Microwaving seafood in the lunchroom at work is no bueno...

And remember, you can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        HAHA...that was in early Unix documentation for years.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan, did not know that...! Wonder if the Unix heads were also motivated by the REO Speedwagon record...

Here’s a recipe from Spain.
      These Spanish Beans and Tuna in a Hearty Tomato Sauce are packed with flavors, easy to make and done in about 30 minutes. Gluten Free recipe.

Comment

Open can, dump in trash is my only canned tuna recipe.

Comment

• Rfhd69
          Rfhd69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Haaaaaaaa!

This does have 1/4 cup mayo, but it's really good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com › Recipes › Tyler Florence
        ​
        Last edited by wrgilb; October 8, 2022, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• Finster
          Finster commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the everything bagel...

Google "can of tuna recipes"

Comment

Found some wild planet tuna at the grocery store. Supposed to be pretty highly rated...it was ok.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20221011_121039.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1307063 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221011_121126.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1307065
          didnt have any ripe avocado, but had some of a leftover appetizer from dinner last night
          had the tuna with some roasted red pepper, artichoke, mozz cheese, and some homemade cowboy candy..
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20221011_121230.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	1307064
          pretty good combo...
          Stay tuned for next weekend's update 😂

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Wild planet is about sustainability and all that…. Not the best tasting.

The problem I have with most supermarket canned tuna is that it's not done to show off the food but just to kind of preserve it. Water packed tuna seems dry to me and even oil packed is... just ok. The European stuff is better (at least what I see here which might be the higher end stuff) since there's a tradition of canning for quality straight out of the can (vs being an ingredient in a dish) but it's pricey.

Is there a reason mayo is not an option? That brings fat/moisture to the dish which alleviates a lot of the dryness.
          Last edited by rickgregory; October 11, 2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• Finster
            Finster commented
            Editing a comment
            Just looking for some variety.
            Mayo, celery, and onions is how I've always eaten it. Still will sometimes, just looking to change it up a little..

I’ve got the best canned tuna recipe that doesn’t use mayo!

1) Open can.
          2) Scrape it into the trash.
          3) Eat something else.

Sorry…I couldn’t resist. I’ll eat tuna - and just about any fish - raw. Cooked? Not a fan other than fish n chips. But I’ll eat sushi all day every day!

Comment

• SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Right? About the tuna with no mayo. I eat cooked fish and I love sushi!

Use it to bait a coon trap. Then have roast coon or bbq coon.

Comment

Best canned tuna ever.

Comment

Salad Nicoise (no olives for me). But that’s a lot of getting busy for a quick lunch. I eat the Genova brand packed in olive oil. Expensive, but I love it. I am team mayo, though. Lots of celery and pickles, too.

Hot tuna fish (casserole with gosh forsaken frozen peas and potato chips) is the devils work. Fight me! 🤣

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here