Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black Grouper w/skin on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Grouper w/skin on

My wife and I were in the Destin/Ft Walton area of Florida last week and loved the seafood. I picked up some black grouper to throw on my grill today. I found several recipes online - but my question is how to grill the fish with skin on it. Most recipes have skinless fillets. I saw one say sear the meat side for a minute or two and then flip to the skin side and finish for 10-12 minutes.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

That basic technique (sear meat side for a couple, then flip) is good technique. I'd keep seasoning simple. Not had black grouper but I think of herbs/citrus stuff. Lemon pepper and salt, that kind of thing.

One key point... oil the grate and the grouper so it doesn't stick before you flip to skin side. Oil the grate by wiping it with a towel that has oil on it (use tongs).

Comment

Should the skin separate from the flesh?

Comment

• DTro
        DTro commented
        Editing a comment
        Most likely not. But when it is finished cooking the meat should easily pull from the skin. You can plate it with skin side down and eat around it. Some eat the skin, but I am not a fan unless it is highly seasoned and seared to a crisp.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        What DTro said. I find a fish spatula makes it much easier to separate. It's thinner and slides under the fish more easily with less breaking

I like the sear meat side for a couple and then skin side down plan. Skin on keeps the fish nice and moist and if it sticks, no big deal, fish releases from the skin easily!

Comment

Worked like a charm. Skin and flesh separated easily. Thanks.

Comment

I never cook grouper with the skin on, it's easier to take it off while cleaning then you are left with fillets.

Lately we seem to like the blackening as that is easy to do. Blacken it outside then finish in the oven to 130 internal.

We lived in Panama City Beach for 15 years and had a 27' Pro Line that was a fishing machine.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I love blackening fish, ribeyes or occasional pork chops. I really like the Louisiana Brand Blackened Seasoning Mix. What’s your favorite blackened seasoning?

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here