Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first attempt at smoked salmon on the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first attempt at smoked salmon on the PBC

I’ve done more pork shoulders than I can remember, so I figured I would try something different. I have a LOVE for salmon. Lox, fresh, whatever…it’s my favorite fish. So, I decided that, with it FINALLY being nice here that I would break out the PBC and try my hand at smoking some. Seasoning is Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper. Started cook at 4:45 PM. I checked it at about 5:10 and moistened it with cooking spray instead of butter. Yeah, probably would taste better but I am trying desperately to lose weight. Sprayed again at 5:28
    with cooking spray. Pulled fish at 5:35. LMK what you all think!
    Attached Files

Very nice! I Cook salmon on the PBC ( little brother ) about every ten days or so. Cpl hrs in brine keeps it very moist n you can spice it how you like. If you have time, after you brine, pat dry n let pellicule ( sp? ) form so it will hold on to more smoke. A little brn sugar prior or peach preserves really tweeks it up! Nice cook!
    Attached Files

Comment

We have a subscription to Sitka Salmon Shares and get Alaskan salmon shipped to us each month, so we cook a fair amount of salmon. I don't have a PBC, so I cook our on a Weber kettle. Wet or dry brine definitely helps keep the fish moist. I usually hot smoke the salmon using cherry, apple or pecan chunks at a temp around 325 skin side down on a piece of brown paper bag. This technique usually allows the skin to stay on the paper bag. Sometimes I'll finish the flesh side down for a quick crust either on the grate, or on cast iron griddle.

Comment

I wet brine, then a thin schmere or mayo, and a light dusting of salmon magic. Smoke at 200° until IT is 120°.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloBBQ View Post
          I’ve done more pork shoulders than I can remember, so I figured I would try something different. I have a LOVE for salmon. Lox, fresh, whatever…it’s my favorite fish. So, I decided that, with it FINALLY being nice here that I would break out the PBC and try my hand at smoking some. Seasoning is Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper. Started cook at 4:45 PM. I checked it at about 5:10 and moistened it with cooking spray instead of butter. Yeah, probably would taste better but I am trying desperately to lose weight. Sprayed again at 5:28
          with cooking spray. Pulled fish at 5:35. LMK what you all think!
          looks great! WDYT of the taste?

Comment

Originally posted by smokenoob View Post

looks great! WDYT of the taste?
            Quite good! 🍽

Comment

Quite good ya say, good job we say! Keep er smokin!

Comment

Looks marvelous!

PBJ, PBC, PBX!

Comment

• jhapka
                  jhapka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Who has a PBX around here I keep waiting to see the photos of one absolutely loaded down but I have been so far disappointed

• HawkerXP
                  HawkerXP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have not seen one either. jhapka

I’d eat it,,,

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here