Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s Your Fav NE Style Clam Chowder Recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s Your Fav NE Style Clam Chowder Recipe?

What say you, Pitmasters?

Just realized this SHOULD be in Soups, Stews? Move as you see fit, moderators
    Last edited by SheilaAnn; December 22, 2021, 04:02 PM.

Oh Panhead John ? Time to torture the nice young lady.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Bring it!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn Oh you just opened a can of beans….or clams….or both!

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Or beets!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-clam-chowder

A lot of people like this one.
    Last edited by Panhead John; December 22, 2021, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      *twirling my blonde hair* I am thinking to myself "I searched clam chowder before posting so as not to catch 💩 from these guys…."

Then I clicked on the link. 🤦🏼‍♀️

I think both ecowper and Troutman have good recipes.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      You got something against acorn squash in your chili CaptainMike?

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      You tell him Eric! Next thing ya know he’ll be bashing us for putting carrots in our chili.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      One word Panhead John ...beans

Legal's is the best

Legal Seafood's Clam Chowder

Chowder, Seafood, Soups, Stews, Chowders
    Prep Time: 15 mins Cook Time: 45 mins Servings: Servings: 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
    4 pounds littleneck clams, about 1 2/3 cups cooked and chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 cup water
    2 ounces salt pork, finely chopped
    2 cups chopped onions
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
    4 1/2 cups clam juice
    3 cups fish stock
    2 cups light cream
    Oyster crackers, optional
    DIRECTIONS
    Steps to Make It
    Clean the clams and place them in a large pot along with the garlic and water. Steam the clams until they open (about 6 to 10 minutes, depending upon their size).
    Drain and shell the clams, reserving the broth in a bowl.
    Mince the clam flesh and set aside. Filter the clam broth either through coffee filters or cheesecloth and set aside.
    In a large, heavy pot slowly render the salt pork. Remove the cracklings and set them aside.
    Slowly cook the onions in the fat, stirring frequently for about 6 minutes, or until cooked through but not browned.
    Stir in the flour and cook while stirring continuously for 3 minutes.
    Add the reserved clam broth and fish stock, and whisk to remove any flour lumps.
    Bring the liquid to a boil, add the potatoes, lower the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through (about 15 minutes).
    Stir in the reserved clams, salt pork cracklings, and light cream. Heat the chowder until it is the temperature you prefer.
    Serve in large soup bowls with oyster crackers on the side.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I do like Legal’s ….. although Brooklyn’s in Seattle is pretty killer.

This is the only chowder better than Legal Seafoods'. It belongs to Captain Parker's Pub in West Yarmouth, MA https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1942014

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, well they’re all good an everything, but nobody can touch PJ’s in Houston.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      "but nobody can touch PJ’s in Houston."

Too many responses that would probably get me banned from AR leap to mind.

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen the Panhead John recipe a couple of times now. I am seriously wondering why anyone would want to touch it.

Several years ago we had a really good clam chowder at Salty's in Tacoma. The last touch was a tablespoon of cream sherry in the middle of the bowl. Made all the difference in the world.
      Last edited by wu7y; December 23, 2021, 07:19 PM.

Here's the one I make all the time. Less options than Panhead John's but I think it's just as good or better!
    New England Clam Chowder

Yield: 4 quarts, 12 servings

Ingredients:
    • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
    • 1 medium leek white and light green parts only, rinsed and chopped
    • ½ cup green onions, chopped
    • 1 cup onions, finely chopped
    • 1 cup celery, chopped
    • 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
    • 6 sprigs fresh thyme
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 3 pounds each Red Bliss & Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ½â€ cubes
    • 38 oz. fresh, canned or frozen chopped clams (or more)
    • 32 oz. clam juice
    • Chicken or Vegetable broth, as needed for potatoes
    • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 3 cups heavy cream
    • ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 1¼ teaspoons salt, or to taste
    • 1 lb bacon, cut crosswise into ¼ “strips, for garnish (optional)
    • ¼ cup fresh chives or green onions, finely chopped, for garnish

Preparation:
    1. (see smoker options below) In sauté pan add the 4 tbsp butter, leeks, onions, green onions and celery and cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and bay leaves and cook until the vegetables are thoroughly wilted, about 3 minutes, being careful not to brown.
    2. Drain the clams and set aside covered, reserving the juice. Move veggies and herbs to a large pot, add the potatoes. Just cover with clam juice (use chicken stock if needed). Add Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, partially cover, and simmer until the broth thickens slightly and the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes, adding clam juice/broth as needed. Add canned/frozen clams just before (5 minutes) potatoes are done.
    3. If you like a thicker broth; make roux (recipe below) or mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot with a wooden spoon.
    4. Remove from the heat, discard thyme stems then stir in cream and 4 tbsp butter, and season with the pepper and salt to taste. Set the chowder aside for 1 hour covered, to allow the flavors to marry. Place the pot over low heat and slowly reheat, being careful bring to a simmer do not boil.
    5. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in the sauté pan over medium heat until crisp and the fat is rendered. Drain on paper towel lined plate. Add to the chowder or use as garnish.
    6. Serve hot removing any bay leaves; garnish each bowl with bacon, chives and/or green onions. Serve with good crusty sourdough bread and hot sauce.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Dis! Clam chowder is just potato soup with clams in it, and you can't make potato soup without bacon.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea like 1 POUND of BACON!!!!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Let Bacon Ring!!!!

My mom was from Scituate, Ma. and even though I'm Texan born and raised I grew up eating her simple clam chowder recipe. This isn't really like what you find in restaurants (its not thickened) and the clams are canned but it is very good and very easy to make.

I don't measure anything so this list is mostly a guess but it is very similar to this recipe I posted awhile back (just substitute clams for the haddock): https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...sh-soup-recipe

1 medium onion, diced
    2-3 Tbsp butter
    3 Idaho potatoes, cubed about 3/4-1"
    3 cans diced or minced clams, drain and reserve liquid
    1-2 bottles clam juice (might not need them - the reserved canned clam juice might be enough)
    whole milk, maybe a little cream
    S&P to taste

Garnish:
    Salt pork - fine diced and fried until crisp.
    Oyster crackers

Saute onions in butter until translucent. Add potatoes and enough clam juice to barely cover. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add clams and cook 5 minutes. Start adding whole milk to desired appearance/ consistency (very subjective - should basically look like milk but not so much liquid that you don't get potatoes and clams in each spoonful). S&P to taste. Bring to light boil and reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes and serve. A little cream adds some body to it.

This is how mom served it - a loose (watery) type soup. If you like it thickened like restaurant style add a slurry of cold milk and flour, or use Southern white gravy mix such as Pioneer.

You can play with this, add herbs and other ingredients, but clam chowder was originally simple "common people's food" so I like to keep it simple.
    Last edited by 58limited; December 22, 2021, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      You can also mash up some of the potatoes to thicken the chowder.

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      SheilaAnn Hilarious! 😂

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice shot SheilaAnn! Not even a ricochet. We westerners do appreciate that.

Fresh, flavorful, and thick with clams and potatoes, this classic New England clam chowder recipe is a keeper.

Comment

No recipe. Best chowder recipes are like the best chili recipes - everybody has one.

But since your in beautiful Long Beach, you should try the chowder at Charlie’s Chili in Newport Beach. Little hole in the wall place right by the pier. My kids grew up on it and we visit Charlie’s at least once a year.

Good chili too. They say it’s better than anything you can get in Texas.
      Last edited by TripleB; December 23, 2021, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        TripleB never been…. Will have to check it out!

I knew there was one out there that I really liked, I just needed to wait long enough for the right number of old brain synapses to line up. And yes, it is the real Charlie Langer.

Click image for larger version Name: D28970F0-BDE9-4785-BC69-E8F7023D280E.jpeg Views: 0 Size: 2.14 MB ID: 766692 As a follow up to my recent post on smokey chowder recipes, I came up with this. It was delicious. My wife said it was the most flavorful clam chowder she’d ever had. I made it for my youngest daughter’s 14th

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here