Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry scallops leaching milky liquids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry scallops leaching milky liquids

I recently purchased what were labeled as dry scallops from a local well known fish monger. I did a 20 minute brine with salt, fully rinsed and dried in paper towels. I preheated a cast iron pan for 10 mins on med, then bumped to high, added clarified butter and some canola oil and after two minutes got no color on the scallops. At all. Also had significant cloudy liquid leaching from the scallops. No way these could have been "dry", correct?

That's a well known side effect of treating the scallops with sodium tripolyphosphate (STP). I'd have a chat with this fish monger as you can get untreated scallops.

info here https://qz.com/474207/heres-why-your...earing-nicely/

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      STPP as we say in the Chem biz.

That's a good article but it specifically says the STP problem was with wet scallops not dry. I like what your advising is that he verify with his fish monger that they were dry instead of wet.

Comment

Correct. Someone along the supply chain goofed up with labelling.

Comment

Sounds fishy to me Seriously though I am following this thread to learn more.

Comment

Ah yes, the leachy milk scallop syndrome! We
          shall see what their answer is.

Comment

This happened to me in the past when I tried to pan sear some scallops, and I had no idea why. Glad to learn something new.

Comment

Were the scallops a bright white, or kind of the color of older newspaper, kind of off white?

Comment

I’ll definitely follow up this weekend. They were pinkish in color.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Then they were probably still dry scallops. When treated with STP, they are powder white.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here