Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any fishermen here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any fishermen here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FEE2E2E7-D245-4BD8-A2AE-CF159E082234.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1130713 Click image for larger version

Name:	12787B1C-BD31-433D-A8B8-59766984D0E2.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	1130714

I fish once a year, in Baja, for the past 34 years. The goal is Dorado (Mahi Mahi) which are just so much fun to catch. This year, we started to catch something called Sierra. In all these years, we never even heard of it, yet were all over the place this year. It’s apparently in the Mackerel family?

My favorite way to cook the Dorado is smoked. These are not quite like the delicate white Mahi Mahi that we have had in Hawaii, they are much darker and strong flavored. I figure Mackerel is fairly oily, so smoke is probably the way to go as well.

I wet brined for a few hours. The two larger fillets on left are Dorado, the longer skinny ones are Sierra. First picture is a 20 lb Dorado, not a huge one. Hope I’m on the right track?

I am a fisherman, but more of a fresh water guy, being that I am in MN.

That looks like a ton of fun. I am usually diving when I am by the ocean and I rarely get the chance to fish. This year, I am bringing my fly rods down to Costa Rica to see what I can pull out of the mangroves.

Keep cranking in those Dorado! That looks like a blast. Tasty too!

Comment

Way to go BBQ Bro.
      Grill-a-filet, looks to be good eating.

Comment

Man, you're KILLIN' ME.

I took a trip to FL last month JUST to go fishing - struck out. I've been out 4 or five times ocean fishing now, paying for a damned charter every time, and I've got a single 3 foot barracuda to show for them all, combined. And that was like... 20 years back. Almost, anyways.

KILLIN' ME.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Let me recommend a trip to Venice Louisiana. If you want to stay close the redfish and trout are abundant. If you want the thrill of a lifetime book an offshore guide to take you yellow fin tuna fishing. They will leave you with arms that are so tired you’ll have to set for a bit.

Im as much of a freshwater fisherman as you can be in NJ. Mostly largemouth. Once a year i try and hit the NC coast and go out into the gulfstream for tuna. Tons of fun. Never caught any mahi mahi though. That looks like a beauty.

Comment

We fish in the Sea of Cortez, on small boats, called Pangas. 2 people per boat. Always in the hottest (like really hot) month of the year, July-Aug, thats when Dorado fishing is best. Never in 30 years been skunked. Sleepy little town of Loreto. You need to like Tequila, it doesn’t matter what drink you order, It’ll taste like Tequila.

Comment

Heck yea! Look at that! I caught one of those a few years back in the Gulf of Mexico, not that big though

I do the fly fishing stuff - for trout. Fun times! I don’t do it enough these days though. Need to get back to it a bit, really enjoy the serenity and solitude that a river brings, standing in the middle and casting a fly to a rising rainbow or brown trout.

Comment

• wu7y
              wu7y commented
              Editing a comment
              That is one of the best parts of life - standing in the middle of the stream, the only fisherman for miles up or down the river, casting not just to any trout but to a particular rainbow or brown.

SierraBBQGuy Nice Mahi! I get out on the water 2-3 times a week (weather depending). Right now its speckled trout & redfish! Year round add flounder, mackerel, snapper, cobia, wahoo, grouper, amber jack to the list! Mahi are so much fun cause the JUMP!
            Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm missing the sprinkles.

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              Light tackle, too! Good man.

Specks, reds and flounder in the Texas bay system for this lad. I occasionally go off shore for red snapper and tarpon, but that’s rare these days.

Keep your tackle dry and your hooks wet 👍

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              and your lines tight!

Just a follow up, the smoked Sierra is fantastic, best smoked fish I’ve ever done. I guess really oily fish is the way to go.

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              Very similar to the Spanish Mackerel we get here. They have some very speedy runs when you hook them and VERY razor sharp teeth! We usually use 20# 7 strand wire for bite tippet.They make great ceviche to!

Love fishing. Stripers and Tuna in the salt and bass up north in Maine. A few on vacation as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	188678_1007749167591_8052_n.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1130881 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7948.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	1130886 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4322.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	1130889 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1476.jpeg
Views:	173
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	1130888 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8038.jpeg
Views:	168
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	1130884 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0821.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	1130882 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8023.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	1130883 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.jpeg
Views:	164
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1130885 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4344.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1130887

Comment

• smokenoob
              smokenoob commented
              Editing a comment
              I know which one was on vacation! NICE!

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              I think the perch was the best catch of the bunch!

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice pic 👍

I mostly fly fish for trout here in the New England Burt hit the coast for Stripers a couple of times a year and everything is fun on aa fly rod.

Comment

I had the opportunity to go sturgeon fishing back in September. First time ever for me and it was one of the best days ever. They are a protected species so it was catch & release and as such, I cannot offer any smoking/grilling advice. Apparently you can buy farmed sturgeon but I've never tried it. These beautiful creatures are STRONG and jump completely out of the water. My arms took days to recover. It was an amazing experience and I have nothing but the utmost respect for these river behemoths. Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1131295

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                WOW!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by rodkeary View Post
              I had the opportunity to go sturgeon fishing back in September. First time ever for me and it was one of the best days ever. They are a protected species so it was catch & release and as such, I cannot offer any smoking/grilling advice. Apparently you can buy farmed sturgeon but I've never tried it. These beautiful creatures are STRONG and jump completely out of the water. My arms took days to recover. It was an amazing experience and I have nothing but the utmost respect for these river behemoths. Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1131295
              Incredible!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here