Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Salmon Candy, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Salmon Candy, need help

So it all started with a little fishing trip I got dragged along and turned out pretty well.
    Some of the fish had caviar that was marvellously salted (I am Russian and we just looooooove caviar)

After giving some fish away to family and friends I decided to go after something special that I've never done before:
    Smoked Salmon Candy. Up to now I've only heard of it and seen few pictures on the internet. After few hours of reading different types of recipes I came out with my own brine (Brown sugar, pure Maple syrup, honey, a bit of molasses and some salt).
    The sliced fish have been brining for 48 hours instead of the supposed 24h. (Got caught up at work AND got a flu. Double fail)

At this point the salmon strips are drying on the racks where they should be for another 24hours or so.

Does anyone have an idea how long/what temp to smoke them at( I have a MES)? All the information on the internet is VERY different from one recipe to another.

P.S. if anybody wants a recipe to prepare salmon/trout caviar Russian style contact me, I will gladly share

Alex Baton ...

I smoke salmon low and slow. I get the BGE down to 150° to 175°. I put it on cedar planks skin side down. I smoke it until the thickest part of the strip is 150/160°. That takes about 4 to 5 hours. I use alder wood chunks.

"P.S. if anybody wants a recipe to prepare salmon/trout caviar Russian style contact me, I will gladly share".

I would suggest you start a new thread to share your caviar techniques with all of the members. That will be very interesting.
    Last edited by Breadhead; September 23, 2015, 10:23 PM.

Comment

• Alex Baton
      Alex Baton commented
      Editing a comment
      do you add smoke for the full 4-5hours?

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Alex Baton ...

No... Smoke is like salt. It's a flavor enhancer. A little too little salt is much, much better than a little to much salt. You want to taste the salmon with a slight smoke flavor as a kicker. I put in a couple of alder chunks. About 6oz of wood. When it burns off I don't add any more.

I learned that from our BBQ Guru Meathead.😎

Thank you, So I am getting some beer. Looks like I will have a lot of tasting to do

Comment

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh yea... On the beer.👌

You really should start a thread to share your caviar knowledge. I'll bet very, very few of our fellow members know anything about making caviar.

Alex Baton, I baste my Salmon with maple syrup a couple times about an hour before there done. A 48 hour soak sounds like a long time as I only soak in brine for 4 hours and have had some that were even a tad salty and I even rinsed after the brine. Although mine were skinless and cut in pieces.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2223.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	111756
    Attached Files

Comment

• Alex Baton
      Alex Baton commented
      Editing a comment
      I have tasted a small and thin piece just now, before putting it in the smoker and it tasted like hm..... some sweet rubber. :O Literally like a "twizzler".

I would have better success if only I knew what it should taste like, but i'll keep trying. Awesome picture

So I figured out what was wrong with the piece that tasted like rubber: It was just too damn thin and small.

Here's a picture of finished product after smoking it for about 3 hours 170-200.
    Now the problem is that I am sick and have a blocked nose since yesterday, i can't feel if it's salty/sweet/smoky. I can feel that it has a fish consistency but nothing more.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
      Powersmoke_80 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks Tasty, Day two is always better but you may want to take something for that nose though LOL.

For the nose i was onsidering the old grandmother way:
    Put a big towel over your head while holding it over a pan of freshly boiled potatoes (skin on).breathe in the vapes. Then rub some hot, melted badger's fat on your chest and go to bed. And Voila! I know it sounds like witchcraft but you are guaranteed to wake up healthy in the morning. No cough or running nose.
    Just kidding. I'll stick to benylyn and cold FX

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here