Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Albacore Tuna belly fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Albacore Tuna belly fat

This last weekend we went to the lake house. The wife, along with my aunt, canned 40 lbs of fresh Albacore Tuna. We came home with a small amount of tuna belly fat. This weekend, got the TV on the patio setup for the 9am Oregon Duck game, planning on doing a butt, chicken and throwing on the tuna belly fat. Not to sure how to prep the belly fat.

Cook it fat cap or down.

Couldn't resist.

Ya got pictures? Me no fresh tuna.

Comment

Hmm... just the belly fat? I don't think you want to smoke it, it might render away. My first thought would be to cure it like pork lardo - https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-lardo-4778951

this sounds interesting too: https://www.lacucinaitaliana.com/ita...hat-is-how-use
      Last edited by rickgregory; September 8, 2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Sushi. Trust uncle Strat on this. Freeze the fish overnight to mitigate any parasite issues, then coat in in a bit of oil, season and smoke low and slow. I use my big chief(ubiquitous here in Alaska), but anything will work. When med. rare to medium, pull and rest. Then use as you would bbq eel in dragon style rolls. I do this method some with red salmon, and the occasional tuna that comes my way. Freakin' killer...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here