Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon Skin Sticks ! :( Traeger Pellet Burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRILL GRATES & Salmon

I always grill my salmon on the flat part of the Grill Grates, with the heat on maximum. The farmed Icelandic salmon I purchase from our local chain, Metropolitan Market, is very fatty. I remove the skin, and salt and pepper it. I cut the salmon into rectangular slices, so that all 4 sides are approximately 3 cm wide, brush with olive oil, then salt, pepper, dill. I no longer oil the very hot surface of the Grill Grates, as the fish is oily enough.

And, here's the trick: 60-75 seconds per side, flipping onto all 4 sides. 60 sec if a thinner piece, 75 if thicker. And I try to flip them by grabbing lengthwise with my long tongs, and slipping them side ways onto the grill where the piece has already dripped it's salmon oil. So, 4 or 5 minutes total. That's all. If the cut is from the tail â…“ of the fillet, then I might only have two sides to grill, at 2 min per side. The skin I cut into variable widths, and put on after the meat is done, flipping frequently as it fries in its own oil. The grandkids love the crispy salty skin (I scale these salmon, as the scales are pretty course.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6620.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	1084287Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7661.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	1084284

Name:	IMG_6135.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	1084281

Name:	IMG_6621.jpeg
Views:	90
Size:	274.7 KB
ID:	1084286Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6622.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	1084285Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6136.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	1084283Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0920.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	1084282

Name:	IMG_6139.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1084280

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP Yeah, fish sticks kinda like McDonalds, except not. 😏

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish those were the type we got fed every Friday during lent.

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      Incredible ! ! !

Some of you leave the skin on salmon? Do you leave the silverskin on ribs?

After I skin a salmon filet I coat it with olive oil. This summer I've mostly been using the griddle or the flat side of the grill grates. Earlier this week I smoked one on the pellet burner. When they're done they come right up.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      LoL! Ollie taught me ta do it this a way.

• zzdocxx
      zzdocxx commented
      Editing a comment
      The thing is, the crispy salmon skin, yum yum ! ! !

BTW I was in WalMart today and OK I will post the pics from my phone . . .

Comment

Surprised at the prices.
      Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here