Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s Your Favorite Way To Cook Scallops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s Your Favorite Way To Cook Scallops?

I just got back from Costco with some shrimp, NY Strips and a package of scallops. I don’t cook scallops often, but when I do, I just pan sear them with butter and a little garlic. Do any of y’all have a favorite way to do scallops besides the pan sear with butter method? I’d like to try something different. Maybe on the grill? Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2021, 01:29 PM.

if you have a good really well seasoned cast iron skillet or a good non stick nonstick more important dry them really really really good, good hot skillet don't salt until in the pan don't walk away rather a little under cooked than not do one to get timing down ninety second two minutes tops be ready with whatever you are serving with sauce, salad, steak enjoy

Comment

The very best way I've had them is finding them while SCUBA diving, popping them out of their shells and then eating them while still under water. Mmmmmm, mmm!

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Red Man I learned this while diving for lobsters off of the Catalinas. It is no bullshit the very best scallops I have ever eaten. PJ can soak them in Coors Light and flambeau them in Jack Daniels and they would never be that good.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you slip them under yer mask without gittin yer fingers stuck or breathin in water?

• Red Man
        Red Man commented
        Editing a comment
        FireMan no need to slip anything under your mask. Just need to pop the regulator out of your mouth. Avoid breathing water by not breathing without the regulator in your mouth 😁.

I've noticed that, too, the drier they are, the better the sear is significantly. In fact, I don't salt the second side until I'm about to flip them.

I keep wanting to do some on the grill....but they cook so quickly and I love that cast iron sear.

Comment

....and I usually do a pad of kerrygold butter (I have better results browning this than other butters) and equal parts olive oil. I haven't used garlic as I am scared of burning it.

Comment

I like your plan to pan sear with butter and garlic. I would do them just the way I do shrimp. That said, they would probably be nice with a little char or smoke from direct grilling over charcoal, if you want to try a different method.

Comment

I usually pan sear,,,, that said
            If I grab some really fresh sea scallops or Cape scallopsI will do a scallop ceviche,,,,,,
            that is a summer delight

Comment

I would try something different. But then I'm afraid I'd still be wanting some pan seared scallops with butter and a little garlic.

Comment

• Panhead John
                Panhead John commented
                Editing a comment
                I was kinda thinking the same thing Steve. But, I think I’d love em any way they’re cooked.
                Last edited by Panhead John; June 19, 2021, 06:23 AM.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Butter? Check!
                Garlic? Check!

I'm In!!!

When I'm pan-searing them with a little garlic, I like to briefly show them a picture of my grill ... or if I'm feeling REALLY froggy, a picture of my smoker.

Comment

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Panhead John - You’ve given me an idea tho’. I’m tempted to try pan seared scallops with roasted garlic instead of raw … roasted in the pellet pooper.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Interested in hearin bout th results of this Experiment, Brother...

• MBMorgan
                MBMorgan commented
                Editing a comment
                Mr. Bones - Me too ... just gotta find some good scallops somewhere out here in the High Plains Desert of Colorado. Someday soon, I hope ...

Melt some butter in a pan mince, grate or press a few cloves of garlic into the pan off the heat. As a splash or 2 of a nice, fruity white wine, like pinot grigio. Add the scallops and toss to coat well. Spread everything in an even layer in a Pyrex round pie plate or an 8 inch square baking dish. Sprinkle the top moderately with dried breadcrumbs (flavored or not). Put several inches below a broiler (on low, if possible) and broil until just done and the breadcrumbs are starting to brown. You can also sub finely crushed Ritz crackers for the breadcrumbs for a New England-y take on it (a bit like lobster pie.) As they cook, the sweet scallop liquor will come out and mix with the garlic butter and wine to make a delicious sauce that is great served over plain white rice.

EDIT: There is no need to stir or turn the scallops. They will cook through just from broiling the top. If you distribute the crumbs correctly, the edges of some of the scallops will caramelize a bit, which is yummy.
              Last edited by Dewesq55; June 18, 2021, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I cook on a hot grill and serve over grits

Comment

Holly says to grill 'em, this is the Pitmaster Club ya know.....

These Grilled Scallops are ready in just minutes. Toss lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic with scallops, then grill until tender!

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks like a strong possibility Steve. Looks good.

Since they have been previously frozen they will be wet scallops so they will shrink on you so plan on that if trying to grill or do kebobs.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don, have you frozen them before…uncooked? I’m gonna have to cause there’s gonna be lots leftover. Your favorite way?
                  Last edited by Panhead John; June 18, 2021, 04:46 PM.

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The way I freeze them is to make sure they are damp and then vacuum pack them with a slight vacuum to remove most of the air. I read somewhere that this helps prevent any freezer burn issues. What are generally referred to as wet scallops have been treated with, I believe, a phosphate to help them absorb water to protect them when frozen so your previously frozen ones will have already been treated.

Originally posted by Panhead John View Post
                I don’t cook scallops often, but when I do, .......
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2583_1.GIF
Views:	279
Size:	3.71 MB
ID:	1047223

Comment

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here