Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salmon - Dry Brine versus Wet Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salmon - Dry Brine versus Wet Brine

Hi All,

I'm planning to cook some center cut Atlantic salmon on the grill tonight. I have tried both the wet brine/cure listed in the Schmancy Hot Smoked Salmon recipe and the more traditional bry brine technique. My question to the pit members is, does anyone know (or notice) the difference? I usually cook them the same way and i'm trying to decide if the extra effort to make the wet brine is worth it. I'm interested to hear what y'all think?

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing the wet brine doesn't firm up the meat quite like the dry brine can do. Not sure of any other differences. Maybe the wet brine would act more like a marinade?

Comment

when I tried wet brine I thought it was to salty so I went back to dry, maybe i goofed up......dunno
      dry brine has produced some mouth watering salmon!

Comment

In all my years I have never brined salmon. I will brine mackerel and sometimes stripers depending on the size. I cook salmon at 225 until 130 internal with some seasoning, thinly sliced onion and fresh dill on top. Wife says "DON"T CHANGE ANYTHING!".....like that would ever happen.

Comment

I season mine jus pre cook, be it smoker, or grill...

Comment

Theres no reason to brine salmon if you're just cooking it for dinner etc. If you want to hot smoke it for consumption as smoked salmon I like a quick cure of salt/sugar/dill. You can wet cure it with that plus sone vodka. I think the free side has a recipe.

Comment

• grantgallagher
              grantgallagher commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah i agree. If you just want to cook it i would salt right before cooking. If you want smoked salmon then i like the wet brine in the schmancy salmon. I typically wash it briefly under cold water after the brine then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. Never found it to be too salty.

Thanks for all the feedback! I wound up tossing it in the wet brine because I had the time. I finished it with a coffee based rub and smoke roasted the salmon around 300 degrees for about 30 minutes. It was fantastic, but I think I will revert to dry brining unless I plan to hot smoke it like rickgregory suggested.

Comment

To me, like some others, the real question is what end product are you looking for; hot smoked salmon, or grilled salmon. Brine, wet or dry for the former, season just prior to cooking for the latter.

Comment

Dry brine for me.

Comment

No brine necessary for fish, just season with a salt seasoning.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here