Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you cook fish in the same cooker you cook beef and pork in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RolfTaylor
    commented on 's reply
    Hmmm, while I have known many jews I am certainly no expert. The odd thing is that the owner of the Ace where I used to work is a fairly observant Jew and he's the one that mentioned some vaguely recalled comment about this customer. I must have misunderstood him. Thanks for the education (isn't that what we are all here for).

Back on topic, I cook fish and meat on my gas Weber all the time with nothing more than the usual burn and scrape.

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    Bogy I knew you were being funny, but wasn't sure if RolfTaylor was in on the joke. 🤔
    In further service of global understanding, fish is considered 'Parve', or 'pareve', which means neutral (Kosher-wise.) That means fish dishes can be eaten with milchich (milk) or fleischich (meat) dishes. EG: lox, bagels, and CREAM CHEESE, or, for the Passover, Gefilte fish and BRISKET (no, not the Texas kind!) So, fish swings, can go any way. Very modern. Very fluid (get it? fluid? water? fish swims?)

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    I want to make clear I am at least passing familiar with Jewish dietary rules (mostly from reading it in the Hebrew scriptures) and was being somewhat facetious about using different grills for beef/pork and fish as "keeping Kosher". My family tells me they often don't know when I'm joking and when I'm serious. They think this is by accident, I just want to keep them guessing.

• Elton's BBQ
    commented on 's reply
    Haha.. yeah, that i belive.. 😆

• SmokingSteve
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry Panhead John, but we would never want to be considered an enabler of your filthy habit! I am glad to see that you are contrite and asking forgiveness. That we can do, since you "fessed up and are trying to make it right. Just don't let it happen again!

• Dr. Pepper
    commented on 's reply
    PSA: Jews who keep Kosher cannot mix dairy dishes with meat dishes (something about not cooking a kid in it's mother's milk🍼, which you must admit, sounds insensitive.) There is no admonition to mixing fish and meat.
    Having said that, there are many other rules. eg: seafood must have fins and scales, therefore no shrimp🦐, clams, oysters🦪, catfish, lobster🦞, crab🦀 (have I missed any other delicious foods?) Meat must be domesticated, have split hooves, and chew it's cud. Sorry, pork 🐷😟

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Been mostly grilling (and occasionally smoking) salmon and other fish for decades. Never a problem with carryover stinkyness or taste ...

Now, reusing oil that's been used for frying fish is another story. Back in my USAF days, there was a roach coach on base that did exactly that ... for everything including fish and BACON . Needless to say, their BLT's were always a little ... "different" ... 🤮 ...

Leave a comment:

• Redwng
    replied
    I have been grilling/smoking fish and everything else on all my cookers for 35 years and I don't taste any connection to previous cooks at all. The wife (with the bionic nose) doesn't taste or smell anything either. I have been living in FL for 22 years and we cook different types of fish and oysters very often. Even something oily like mackerel doesn't leave a trace after I smoke it. Now I do clean all my cookers regularly so that may be the key.

Leave a comment:

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    FireMan It all tastes like chicken, right!

• FireMan
    replied
    My cookers only have two words to say about the matter:

FEED ME! Fish, pork, veggie tables, beefusses, allygator, shrimp makes no differnce, taste no differnce.

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    replied
    I must admit, I do get a little beefy hint in my fish

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I’ve never had an issue cooking fish on any of my grills or smokers.

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    replied
    Also, wouldn't that be true for the oven? Yea, no smoke but if you cook fish in the oven and the next day cook some beef/pork or whatever is the oven contaminated with smell of fish?
    No fish, no problem.

Leave a comment:

• Elton's BBQ
    replied
    Never had any "leftover" fishysmell in my wsm/kettle/gasser

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Fake news

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here