Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you cook fish in the same cooker you cook beef and pork in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    And I want ALL the details!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    I hear Bogy gives private confessionals on Tuesdays and Thursdays between the hours of 10am-12pm. PM him for details and appointments.

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    😂 I’m tellin ya, you just can’t find these kind of funny ass people on any other BBQ websites!......... So I’m told.
    Last edited by Panhead John; May 12, 2021, 03:49 PM.

• RichieB
    replied
    No fish, no problem.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    I don't smoke fish, but certainly have grilled a lot of it over the years, and considering I always clean the grates and burn things off between cooks, I've never noticed any fish flavor or smell to anything over many years of grilling.

Now, if you are smoking salmon a lot, I can see the smoker building up a fishy layer inside. A grill? Not so much. Someone referenced the kosher requirement, and that could be a thing, but only for the surface the fish is touching.

As others have mentioned, I do NOT reuse oil that I've used for frying fish for any future cooks. I have reused oil used for frying chicken or veggies (fries).

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Oh my GOSH, I just about fell outta my chair!!!! Hahahahahahaha!!!!

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    JimLinebarger One church I served had a chicken dinner in the spring, and a fish dinner in the fall. They saved the grease from the fryer in the spring (big fryer) and used it in the fall, and then threw it away. You didn't want to do the reverse. But in my opinion, deep frying and grilling/smoking are two different things.

• JimLinebarger
    replied
    Restaurants cook fish on the same flat top and oven but I think some have a different deep fryer for fish. I am trying to remember my Mickey D's job while in HS. Think they used the same fryer for the chicken but a separate one for the fries.

Leave a comment:

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    Panhead John if it ever happens again, you are dead to me!

• CaptainMike
    replied
    I have a Bradley smoker (basically a converted mini-fridge) that can do that, but none of the others have passed on anything I've noticed.

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    I cook fish in my gasser primarily. I also cook other meats on that cooker as well and have not had any issues. However, I clean it and burn it off before cooking.

Leave a comment:

• CaptainMike
    commented on 's reply
    Man, catchin' hell from the padre, smooth move PJ!

• RolfTaylor
    replied
    Note if you keep a kosher home!

Seriously though, I sold a BGE once and they guy wanted an extra grid and was very disappointed we didn't have it in stock. The owner suggested to me that keeping kosher was most likely the reason - one grid for fish and one for meat (and I guess no port at all).

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Just don't cook (or eat) fishy-smelling fish and you should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• au4stree
    commented on 's reply
    ".....it meant nothing to me and I did not enjoy it at all." I spit my afternoon coffee out, thanks @panheadjohn.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here