Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sitka Shares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sitka Shares

Got mine yesterday. We are on a fish only share (wife is not a big shellfish fan). Now I’m working on what to do with 4 lbs of Black Cod!

Tonight, I’m grilling some …. In cast iron, with some smoke, salt, pepper, olive oil. With a salad and some quinoa on the side.

Will post how I made it and pictures later tonight.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B04ED061-BF9D-4105-BEAB-D63C6F693BE5.jpeg
Views:	209
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1028569

Big fan of sitka. Used them for a while. Black cod is amazing, i usually pan sear then finish in the oven. Flaky nommy goodness.

Comment

This is really, really good:
      Miso Marinated Black Cod

The marinade is good on salmon too.

Comment

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
        Got mine yesterday. We are on a fish only share (wife is not a big shellfish fan). Now I’m working on what to do with 4 lbs of Black Cod!
        Nice. If you can find some sake kasu, marinate the black cod in it, then grill. Delish.

Comment

As mnavarre said, the miso marinated black cod is excellent. And that is the recipe they included with those new shipments.

Curious - we get the mixed fish/shellfish shipments. This shipment was just black cod and pacific cod. Curious what you received in your shipment?

Comment

• Willy
            Willy commented
            Editing a comment
            Not every shipment contains shellfish, just some.

• theroc
            theroc commented
            Editing a comment
            Willy - thanks. yes we understand not every shipment includes shellfish. I was curious if the fish-only shipments got different fish when the shipment only has fish. No reason to think so, just curious.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            I got about 3.5 lbs of black cod and a pound of cod

theroc We got Snow crab, Dungeness crab, and Alaskan cod. Standard Premium share. The recipe we got was Stir -Fried Crab Legs with Ginger Scallion Butter.

Comment

• theroc
            theroc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. That's what we received in last month's shipment. This month's was pacific cod and black cod.

• mnavarre
            mnavarre commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, gotcha. We just got our April share on 4/29, so I guess I'll get my May share in a few weeks.

My wife made a Thai-style green curry with some of the cod using one of their recipes. We didn't have any coconut milk on hand, so she used frozen pandan leaves for a coconut-like flavor. It turned out really good.

Name:	IMG_20210504_184504668.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1028610

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! You have frozen pandan leaves just layin around in yer freezer AND a wife who knows how to pivot & be creative in usin em. Wonderful. Looks great!
            Last edited by FireMan; May 8, 2021, 11:39 AM.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks amazing

• Wedunne
            Wedunne commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, it was pretty amazing. And so is my wife.

That black cod also loves a Long slow cook in butter and whatnot. That fish seems impossible to over cook or ruin.

Funny, I don’t think I’ve tried hot and fast or to ever get crispy skin on it. Weird I know. That stuff is amazing though.

I got crabs with mine too.

I cooked mine slowly in butter and into the oven, removed to hold and added white wine, shallot and enoki with a spot of chives and squeeze of lemom.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh heck yeah, Ima total sucker for the soft lob! Gawdamm curveballs too, I hated that walk back to the dugout after striking out swinging like an old lady swatting flies with a broom.

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Worst thing in high school was when you ran into a pitcher that could actually throw a change up

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            You guys are ridiculous!!

So, what I did with the black cod last night was modified a recipe on Sitka’s site for cooking on the grill.

For the cod, I seasoned with kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. Then I layered on some olive oil with orange zest in it.

Fired up the Hasty-Bake using Kingsford Pro, added a nice chunk of apple wood to the fire, let the fire get hot and the smoke settle down to thin blue. Heated a cast iron skillet up on the direct side of the fire until my IR therm said it was 400F.

Added some grape seed oil to the cast iron (it can take 400F better than EVOO) and then put the fish in. Turned the filets every 5 minutes. They were nicely medium well after about 12 minutes.

Served with a green salad and some quinoa and black beans.

Name:	E791E89B-8019-4F85-B216-886181B2F9D4.jpeg
Views:	184
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1028960

Name:	5FB6FDFB-5C65-4344-BBAF-FB1432F565D7.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	1028966

Name:	70C677CB-4ACE-45F9-8E37-BE4950F94577.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	1028965

Name:	ACB6A491-557E-4B40-AF6E-73BAA2E8E8D5.jpeg
Views:	140
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	1028964

Name:	09CA33C2-45C3-4300-9722-AE3148950139.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	1028963

Name:	7A71DC17-B7DB-4FCE-950E-07030E70C54A.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	1028962

Name:	94805290-113A-48F5-895F-4257D0419F5D.jpeg
Views:	137
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	1028961

Comment

• Redwng
            Redwng commented
            Editing a comment
            The meal does look very good but when you say they were "medium well after 12 minutes", did you check with a thermometer to see what the inside temp was?

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Redwng Yes and the flake test …. Medium well for white fish is 140-145F …. Or it is flaking nicely. I used both tests.

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I’d eat that!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here