Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holy Fish Sticks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holy Fish Sticks!!

i've been looking for a quality seafood market lately so I can feed my Catholic wife on Fridays during Lent. i got a hot tip about a live seafood market in the Cambodia Town area of Long Beach (yes, there are even city-posted signs indicating it is indeed called Cambodia Town. Largest Cambodian population outside Cambodia in fact!) and i finally made it over there for the first time. Holy, holy fish sticks, friends, it is the real deal. if it swam in the sea they had it. they'll even clean, gut, and fry your whole fish purchase for an extra 50 cents a pound. i picked up three whole red snappers and 2-pounds of fresh shrimp that I'll be cooking up tonight. yee haw.

for youse in SoCal it's located at 1436 Cherry Ave, Long Beach 90813. usadailyliveseafood.com

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210319_110214548.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1005878

Name:	IMG_20210319_110218966.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	1005880

Name:	IMG_20210319_110842223.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	1005876

Name:	IMG_20210319_110906678.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1005877

Name:	IMG_20210319_110848974.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	1005881

Name:	IMG_20210319_110920377.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1005882Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210319_110237054.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1005879

Name:	IMG_20210319_110244530.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	1005883

Now that's a fish monger.

Comment

That’s just like what we have here in Colorado!!! ... minus the variety ... ... and the freshness ... ... ... and the fish. We do however, have some kind of local oysters (from the mountains, I hear) that are not only fresh but also MUCH larger than what you poor coast-dwellers haul out of the Pacific.

Comment

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs - I will admit that there are some excellent sushi places around here. Go figure ... but I'm not complaining.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        MBMorgan I won't ever try them oysters though I'll stick with these NC ones

• SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, at my old job, we visited our cow farmer. An operation didn’t go well and the farmer had to redo it while we were all there. Farmer finishes his coffee, puts it in the cup. We get back in the truck and he he heads me the cup and says, "here, hold my balls". We get back to the house and sauté in garlic butter. It wasn’t that bad. Doubt I’ll ever eat it again, but I can say that I have.

Houston also has multiple fish markets just like that. Ours are either Chinese of Vietnamese. Most of them stink to high heaven, also got to be leery of what you are buying. First ask if whatever it is is fresh and never frozen. You may have to press the point but they have to tell you. If previously frozen you need to cook it that day. Ask to smell, see the gills, are the eyes on the fish clear. Other than that you can really get some good buys, just be careful !!

Comment

Do not touch signs all over maybe take a fishing rod with.

Comment

Looks like a great shop.

Unlike these guys:

A supermarket in Kuwait has been shut down after its owners were caught sticking googly eyes on their fish to make them look fresher to customers. Kuwaiti police shut down the fish store on Saturda…

Comment

Very nice. We just do not have a place like that in our area.

Comment

Gentle reminder, Off Topic channel is for anything off the topic of food, cookers, and cooking. If you put it in your mouth, cook on it, or cook with it, we probably have a channel for it.

Comment

latenight71 check out HMart on Del Amo and I think Pioneer. Take the del amo exit and turn right.

Comment

Great tip! May be time for a road trip.

Comment

Who knew? My office used to be at cherry and willow.

Is curlys still there?

Comment

• latenight71
                    latenight71 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    curlys is still there but the shoe shine stand is closed.

Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
                  Re: We do however, have some kind of local oysters (from the mountains, I hear) that are not only fresh but also MUCH larger than what you poor coast-dwellers haul out of the Pacific.
                  For the beer lovers out there: https://wynkoop.com/brewery/brew-blo...-oyster-stout/

What started as a gag by a local craft brewery (Wynkoop) became a thing. It's actually good ... probably because it tastes nothing like its namesake. Only available from stores in a two-pack:

Name:	06045F23-67D4-4E3B-9AFB-0CA45F3333EC_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1006817

And no ... I'm not kidding.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here