Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indirect grilling shrimp, time suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indirect grilling shrimp, time suggestions?

So I've got some 16/21 Texas Gulf shrimp defrosting in the fridge right now, and I do really want to do these on a grill....sorta....

So I'm thinking of hitting them with a little BBQ rub, wrapping them in bacon and indirect grilling them.

I know these shrimp cook to perfection two minutes a side in a cast iron skillet, but what time should I use for indirect grilling? I'm planning to use my Weber SnS with the SnS filled halfway (basically 400 F or so with both the lower and upper vents set half way.)

The bacon is not thick cut and it is probably going to be a half of slice of center-cut bacon per shrimp (trying not to overwrap the shrimp).

With as "large" as these shrimp are....I might be able to get away with using my Thermopen to make sure the largest part of the shrimp are 125ish.

I'd direct grill them. In a 400F oven they'll still be done in a few minutes (like 5 or so). The bacon will slow that a bit since it will act as insulation but I think the danger will be that to get the bacon close to crisp will take far longer than you want to roast the shrimp for.

what you might want to do is get the bacon almost done, then wrap them and finish for a few minutes.

Comment

I agree with rickgregory and would cook til almost done and then wrap. Regardless, they will cook quickly.

Comment

Right. As above, pre cook the bacon until very nearly done but soft and able to wrap. Then direct grill a couple min per side.

Comment

I agree with everyone. I’ve grilled shrimp before off heat and by the time the bacon is crisp, the shrimp is way over cooked. Fry bacon till half done and still bendable, then wrap your shrimp.

Comment

For someone who never cooked shrimp until a week ago, you're ramping up nicely. I want to eat at your house, Michael_in_TX .

Kathryn

Comment

Pre-cooking the bacon for sure. I also like the fact that you're using center cut, thin bacon like Oscar Meyer, that's my go to for wrapping. Another hack that I do is to skewer them tightly. It helps hold the bacon in place, it insulates the individual shrimp by cooking the whole thing as a mass and it obviously facilitates ease of handling.

Good luck Michael, you know how much I love my shrimp from Rose's !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	shrimp broch 04.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1001847

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Those cherries truly ad to the presentation and the shrimp look good enough to eat.
                Consume them in mass quantities.
                Happy BBQ'n to you.

I need to stop visiting this forum at this time of the morning. Too long since breakfast, and still a way to go 'til lunch!

Comment

Do NOT use thick cut as it is 1) harder to work with, and 2) will take longer than the shrimp to cook.

This afternoon we just returned from getting 50 lbs of frozen Gulf shrimp. Brother-in-law from Mississippi deals in them and met us in Little Rock with shrimp and some new gumbo roux.

Comment

Thanks all! Clearly pre-cooking the bacon is the way to go. I have 2 lbs of shrimp with which to experiment, so this will be fun, if the weather cooperates this weekend.

(I plan on basting the shrimp with Max Good's Beso del Fuego sauce, which I absolutely love.)

Comment

• rickgregory
                    rickgregory commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Remember... "Pics or it didn't happen"

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here