Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead's Simon & Garfunkel Blend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead's Simon & Garfunkel Blend

The first time I used this blend, it was for a rotisserie chicken. I used a wet brine and soaked the chicken for an hour. I had already mixed the appropriate amount of S & G with olive oil to let it mature for that hour. I rubbed it under the skin and some on the outside,let it set for awhile, then cooked it on the gas grill rotisserie. It came out well. My 5 year old grandson, who is a picky eater, ate four helpings.

Being the kind of guy I am, (bit of a nerd, career in the computer business,etc) I found it difficult to make this the same way twice.

So it strikes me that I should try making this the way I make a number of other things, by WEIGHT. I found a website, (http://skipthepie.org/spices-and-herbs/) that has metric weights for an awful lot of (guess what) spices and herbs.

I went thru the entire list of the S&G blend and her's what I came up with for a single batch.

(g=gram)

2 g crushed parsley
    4 g crushed sage (I used rubbed sage)
    6 g crushed rosemary (I used cracked rosemary)
    3 g crushed thyme
    3 g crushed oregano
    2 g crushed basil
    2 g crushed bay leaf
    7 g ground black pepper
    13 g sugar

I will admit that I rounded up the fractional weights, For example, 1 tbs parsley = 1.6g rounded up to 2g. You can check out the website above for more details.

Using spices by weight means you can use any form (ground, whole, or cracked) of the spice/herb. The recipe is easily scalable.

You will need a metric capable scale to measure the ingredients.

Hope you like this.

OneNemesis
    Last edited by Onenemesis; July 30, 2015, 08:46 AM.

Great post. I am planning on converting all my recipes to weight measures and this site will be very handy! However, the link isn't working for me.

Comment

• Onenemesis
      Onenemesis commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know why the link doesn't work. It works for me when I try it. Is anybody else having this problem?

I don't know what the problem was exactly. I copy/pasted the URL and it seems to work now. Please let me know.

Added to this after I did some checking and it did not work for me either.
      Last edited by Onenemesis; July 30, 2015, 08:51 AM.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      It is working for me now. Not sure what was going on, maybe service provider issues.

All recipe's should have weight, i'm a convert!

You say you use computers, can you build me a website?

Comment

• Onenemesis
      Onenemesis commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry, but no. After I retired I became a "user". My days of programming were mostly the old stuff like FORTRAN, COBOL and PL/1. While I have played with creating web pages, I have not really learned enough to be good at it. So, you know what happens then---I became a critic!

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I started with COBOL and Pascal, now I do C# when I get the chance. Apparently my stats skills are more valuable than my coding skills. I was just kidding about the web page, it seems everybody thinks that if you can code then you should be able to just toss up a good web page. Might have been true 20 years ago when you wrote them by hand but not any more.

I just bought the food scale suggested here on AR, mostly for bread but I like the idea of weights for all recipes

Comment

I commend you for posting this weight vs volume measurement formula on AR. Meathead has said his first mission was to get his followers to obtain heat thermometers. He also said his next mission was to get us all to get weight scales.

Grams are much easier than OZ by the way....

Comment

• Onenemesis
        Onenemesis commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, grams are better for the small quantities we use in rubs we make. And, since a gram is "small" I don't mind rounding them up a bit to make even (integer) numbers. Most people do not have a scale that can accurately measure fractional grams accurately and they are more expensive.

• Onenemesis
        Onenemesis commented
        Editing a comment
        I reread your post and decided I need to add something. I have been using scales, thermometers and timers for years. I had an epiphany when I discovered this site. AM has the most detailed information (I almost typed "data") I have ever seen and already have purchased an iGrill2, and a Thermapen based on the info here. My biggest find was the Pit Barrel Cooker.

The folks that run this site are AMAZING! All the research, all the great recipes (many of which i still have to try), the comparisons with different products, the folks that post on these forums are the best I have ever had the privilege to see.

Many kudos to all and thanks for everybody's work.

I really should have looked here first... I did the same thing this weekend (but I rounded to 0.5g).

Comment

Nice site link. I have two scales one to the 1g. and the other to .01g. Use the .01 scale when making wines. If I find a recipe I like I just measure out the T. or t. or cup or whatever the recipe calls for and then put each ingredient on the scale and get the g. weight and next time I want to make it exactly the same I can. The .01g. scale is too small for measuring cups of liquids so I usually just use the larger g. scale.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here