Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt without being InSALTing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt without being InSALTing

Need to add salt to some of the rubs I'm making especially the Cajun one to use on my burgers.
    Any advice on the ratio of salt to spice would be much appreciated. I am planning on using plain old table salt unless otherwise advised.

I think it's more personal preference than anything else. I have to be careful with my salt intake so I'll find a rub recipe, Cajun being a good example, and reduce the salt called for. Give it a taste and maybe add more. Start with lower amounts. You can add salt but you can't take it away

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Very true

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this.
      My dry rub recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of salt.
      I may put in 1 level teaspoon of sea salt.

Here's few ideas that were posted a while back. This might help you decide. I like to have a "Salty Rub" to use occasionally.

I've been looking for a traditional Texas style SPG recipe with ratios and not really found anything. Whats your favorite? Do you have different ratios for different proteins / cooking methods? Thanks!

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

If you use the rule of thumb of 1/2 tsp kosher salt per pound (500 g) of meat, and you know about how much rub you normally add to that same amount of meat, you could mix about 1/4 tsp table salt with the same amount of rub. See how that tastes and adjust the salt from there.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      That makes logical sense. I'm looking more for a salt rub for my smash burgers and was wondering about the ratio commercial rubs use. Thank you for the input.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      +1. A great rule of thumb to start with is half salt, half spices.

Because of my wife's heart murmur we try to really minimize using salt in anything. I have found www.spicesinc.com has a lot of different flavor enhancers without any salt and many with low salt that you can search through. They also have good write up on each blend with suggestions and I thought their prices are reasonable.

Comment

• Starsky
      Starsky commented
      Editing a comment
      They are my go to for spices

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here