Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Le Saunier de Camargue, Fleur de Sel, Sea Salt,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pobeque
    replied
    Interesting to use on a brisket, I'd think you'd have to grind it down some to get smaller more even pieces so you can evenly season the brisket. I always have some flaky salt on hand for finishing - meats, pizza and also salads, as its not as 'salty' as other salts and gives a nice crunch & flavor pop

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    What no pepper??? Why that’s anti-Texan, un-American and pretty close to a hanging offense in these parts.

As to the sea salt, sounds intriguing

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    I'm certain that some salts taste better than others, but for my palate there is a point beyond which the return is diminished. Why spend $10 when I can't distinguish it from the $5 stuff?

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    There is a book by the name of “Salted” by Mark Bitterman. It is called a manefesto of salt. If you just start reading this tome, you discover that there is no such thing as salt is salt. I can’t explain more, because then I would just start reading the book. If one wants to be educated on the marvelous different qualities of salt, read it.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    Sea salt is a Good Thing, ime...

• smokin fool
    replied
    We switched from iodized salt to sea salt years ago, sea salt just tastes better.
    Its not the high falutin French flake stuff, still crystals.
    For those of you that haven't tried sea salt I highly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    replied
    From what I understand it is a special salt only found in that area of france.

Leave a comment:

• Mark V
    replied
    I have yet to be taken in by sea salt except where the flakes make a physical difference. So I think in the main, salt is salt.

Leave a comment:

• RobertC
    replied
    I haven't yet tried it on brisket.

It's a pretty nice, white, large flake fleur de sel. Fleur de sel is the "top" harvest of sea salt, traditionally harvested by hand by guys who rake the salt in shallow ponds in the hot sun (they're called "sauniers"). The Camargue is in the south of France, just south from Arles, where Van Gogh lived, so it's Mediterranean sea salt, not sel de Guerande, which comes from the Atlantic coast. I slightly prefer Fleur de sel de Guerande, but I'm happy to have Fleur de sel de Camargue when I can't; my wife is opposite.

I use fleur de sel as a finishing salt on meats of all sorts.

Sel "gris" is slightly grayer, and is what you get after scraping the fleur de sel off the top. I would happily use sel gris for something like a brisket -- it's cheaper, and you don't care about the look in that case.

Here's a little paean to fleur de sel (de Guerande which is my preferred fleur de sel but, as I said, my wife actually slightly prefers fleur de sel de Camargue):
    https://www.davidlebovitz.com/fleur-de-sel-de-1/
    Last edited by RobertC; January 27, 2021, 12:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    Oh, so it’s like ....Pizza, Pizza!

• Joetee
    replied
    I seen it used on YouTube smoking a brisket without any pepper or anything else. The guy said it was the best tasting brisket he has ever smoked. They sell it on Amazon. Expensive.

Smoking Joe's pit bbq,
    Best brisket in the world only using salt.

You can search youtube:
    Salt only brisket
    Last edited by Joetee; January 26, 2021, 07:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Fleur de sel is just the French translation of sea salt, so I assume the first part is what sets it apart. I don't believe I have tried it.

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Heckuva long name for sea salt. Shoot, it even has two commas in it! Whew.

Leave a comment:

• Joetee
    started a topic Le Saunier de Camargue, Fleur de Sel, Sea Salt,

Has anybody heard of or tried this salt on brisket? It's said to be amazing even without pepper.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them