Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Question for Meathead... or whoever too...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Question for Meathead... or whoever too...

Meathead,

When dealing with your Baby Back Ribs, or even a Boston Butt, is "Mopping" during the cook needed? Also any recommendation on what to use? I'm not sure if it is the same as a Marinade.

Plus, what is a good cooking time for Baby Backs. From your video on here, to others I've seen online I've seen 3-8 hours. It's a bit broad.

Thanks
    Jay

Mopping is not necessary. If you are going to mop, there are almost as many answers for what to use as there are pitmasters. Some popular ones are cola or apple juice, with or without some rub mixed in. As for timing of baby backs, 4-5 hours at 225 in average weather conditions - maybe longer if rainy, cold or windy. Start doing the bend test at about 4 hours or even a bit before (3:45). Their done when they crack on the bend test. Welcome and good luck.

Comment

well that 4-5 hours is likely an average. mine take 8 hours without wrapping at 225. don't panic if it takes way longer than you expect (or a bit less, not everyone has the same experience)

mopping isn't necessary. as meathead has stated in his articles: get the basics down first and just follow the recipes, then feel free to get fancy and experiment (not a quote)

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        8 hours for baby backs? Wow. That's crazy. I did some SLC's on my propane water smoker about a month ago and they took a good 6 1/2 but I was having all sorts of temp control issues that day. 8 hours for bbr's seems way long.

DEW

• DeusDingo
        DeusDingo commented
        Editing a comment
        i think i had to super thick baby backs though. maybe they considered something else when they are that thick. either way, yeah, i was not expecting them to take that long and my wife was getting very annoyed with me.

Hey Jay... welcome aboard

I agree with @Dewesq55... On my cooker babybacks are quicker and I check them at 3 hours with the bend test

Comment

Thanks All!

Comment

I usually run 8 hrs with thick bbs, I've even done 12...and my average for stl ribs is 7 every time. I have never had ribs done in 3. I attribute it to rib racks at 3lbs or greater being so much thicker that 3 or 4 hrs is just not possible unless you're using a PBC.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here