Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accent (MSG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accent (MSG)

I've started experimenting with adding Accent to my rubs/dry brines. My rule of thumb is about 1:8 to 1:10 MSG to Morton's Kosher salt. For example, if I have a 2.25-pound Tri-Tip, I might use a teaspoon of Morton's and 1/8 teaspoon of Accent.

People weird out over chemical names, not thinking about the fact that monosodium glutamate is a naturally occurring substance and the fact that the chemical name for table salt is sodium chloride. Anyway, I like it in very *small* doses.

Thoughts on this? Here are a couple of pics of this very juicy 2.25-pound Tri-Tip I cooked tonight. My taste buds had a party.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2046.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	972172
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2047.JPG
Views:	399
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	972171

Looks good to me. As far as MSG goes, You go for it. MSG is the white stuff that forms on seaweed.
    I think I will pick some up. Thanks for the reminder.
    Now I thinking about how to pair MSG with PBR.

Comment

Did you happen to leave a portion of the tri tip without to do a comparison? Just curious? My grandmother use to put Accent on everything! Way back in the day, when MSG was bad!

but curious as to what yo thought. Looks great!

Comment

• Charley Langer
      Charley Langer commented
      Editing a comment
      barelfly I did not leave a portion without MSG and I also added some onion powder to my spice mix. I broke the cardinal rule of only changing one thing at a time. But I knew it would be delicious! šŸ˜‚

Iā€™m laughing at myself a bit because my parents are both scientists, and I have a strong background in the sciences. But I just wanted to make delicious food!! šŸ˜‚ And, that it was...

Beautiful looking Tri-Tip. Juicy, nicely cooked. My mother used Accent all the time. I do too. It's a good flavor enhancer and a little bit goes a long way. Like salt . Again, beautiful TT.

Comment

Lots of rubs include MSG as an ingredient. So I use it when it's in the rub.
      Last edited by Old Glory; January 12, 2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

As long as you use it moderation no harm no foul.
        MSG has gotten a really bad rap over the years like salt has in peoples diets.
        I stay away from it, find it makes me really thirsty.

Comment

I keep Accent in the pantry for recipes that call for it. Cosidering it was extracted from seaweed over 100 years ago by a Japanese scientist, its pretty natural. All the stuff about MSG in Chinese food causing migraines has been debunked, but some people still freak out over it that don't know better.

I believe that MSG is currently extracted from wheat or something other than seaweed BTW.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here