Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt in commercial rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt in commercial rubs

I got a number of rubs for Christmas. They all list salt as an ingredient. I normally dry brine and know Meathead warns against double salting. Has anyone had the results dry brining achieves by applying a rub containing salt overnight? Or should I add a little bit of kosher salt to my rub before applying? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I'm planning on smoking beef back ribs in the next few days.

If the rub has a high salt content (listed first in ingredients) go ahead and use this as your dry brine.

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      If not so high, like Hank's, I'll just use less kosher salt when I dry brine.

I have had good results when using a rub with high salt content at the dry brine stage.

Comment

If I use a salt containing rub, I just apply it overnight instead of using kosher salt. It is my understanding the reason you would normally dry brine with just salt is due to the other seasonings within a rub won't penetrate the meat much.

Comment

Agin like the others afore me, if the rub is rilly high in salt, use it as a rub. The rub stuff(ingredients to those in Oconomowoc) does no harm cuz it just sits there waitin fer the cook. Meathead says miffigers (that mfg’ers to those in Mukwanogo) uses salt in there rubs cuz the cost would be way up there an peeps wouldn’t buy it. Salt is cheap, like talk. Yessir.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here