Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBB vs Cow Crust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBB vs Cow Crust

I’m new here, so apologies if it’s been asked before, but when would you use Mrs O’Leary’s Cow Crust vs Big Bad Beef Rub?

Welcome to the Pit!

BBB on Saturdays and Cow Crust on Sundays?

I'm waiting to see as well.

Comment

Personal preference, I dry brine over night with Suckle Busters Texas 1836 dry rub then coat with my version of Mrs O'leary's right
      Been getting great results

Comment

I like both rubs, have used Mrs. Oleary's on prime rib and NY strip roasts before. They have different flavor profiles.

That said - guys, this doesn't belong in the recipe only section. Cleanup on Aisle 5 Huskee - this needs to be in a discussion thread, not recipes.
        Last edited by jfmorris; December 31, 2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Got it, thanks

Excellent question that I hadn’t given much thought to before.

I personally use Cow Crust when I’m smoking beef roasts and the like where I don’t need extended time in the cooker to render fat and breakdown tough fibers. Cow Crust is herb heavy and longer cooks just dry out and burn them. I can’t even imagine things like Baltimore Pit Beef without Cow Crust.

I use BBB (Or something similar) on longer cooks such as plate ribs, brisket, and chuck where the powdered version of the seasonings are not going to burn. (Onion and Garlic powders for instance.)

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Good question. I use BBB all the time on steaks and love it (add 1/2 tsp gr. Cumin - delicious). I used Mrs O’Leary’s on my Christmas roast. Not impressed. Wrote in my BBQ journal to use BBB next time. FWIW....

Comment

I'd say I use BBBR when I want a bolder "make no mistake -- this is barbecue" flavor profile.

I'd use Cow Crust when I want more of an herby "Sunday roast beef" flavor -- Jim's prime rib is a perfect example.

I tend to reach for BBBR more than Cow Crust when cooking outdoors, but that's just me and how I cook.

Comment

When you want, that is what I do. Depends on the meat as well, Pork, beef, fowl, game (is snake considered game?).
                Sometimes I use SPG, or just salt and pepper works fine. I have found all rubs are good, just some are better than others.

Welcome from NW Oregon.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Truth

I agree with brisket, beef ribs, even steak being BBBR territory; and prime rib, tri tip and sliced chuck being more Cow Crust. But, CC still has a good kick to it, especially if you put it on generously. I did a rack of beef ribs with it last night and they were awesome. You can't go wrong really.

Comment

It depends on my mood, and palate, before the cook. I've been known to sprinkle a pinch of CC in the bag on strip steaks, before dropping them in the sous vide

Comment

I use BBB when I’m smoking, and Cow Crust when I’m not.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here