Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Used These Rubs Before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Anyone Used These Rubs Before?

First off, Merry Christmas to everyone! Hope we can all have a little joy today. I just opened a gift my Niece and her boyfriend picked out for me. These rubs look really good and can’t wait to try them. What surprised me when I first looked at them, is the size of the granules in each of the rubs. Looks to be of a high quality and not real powdery, like some that are out there. Click image for larger version  Name:	6A60213B-891D-4922-9DEC-FFAE4F2AE2C0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.33 MB ID:	962313Click image for larger version  Name:	972B23FE-58AC-42F8-921B-7F7616659BAC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.88 MB ID:	962314Click image for larger version  Name:	06D4B18B-4400-4E57-93BA-C662E023079E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	962315 Have any of you used or heard of these rubs before? I haven’t....and was curious as to what y’all thought? Thanks Click image for larger version  Name:	571FC3F4-B04F-4416-92A4-7D944B660B97.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.53 MB ID:	962312
    Last edited by Panhead John; December 25, 2020, 10:25 AM.

Merry Christmas!

I've heard of him before. They do look good.

Comment

They should be good as long as you don't rub them the wrong way...

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        If you need to ask, your just hopeless.

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s .....”.you’re”. Please, if you’re gonna make fun of me....at least brush up on "your" grammar.

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Theiyr're - take that grammar police!

I have never heard of them, but they look pretty good. Let us know.

Comment

I haven’t used them before but they look fun. He has a bigger than life persona on TV so I would anticipate nothing less than a big granule rub. What I typically do with commercial rubs is mix a bit of theirs with some of mine. When I find a hit it becomes an ingredient. I was in a small shop talking BBQ some years ago in New Orleans and a lady talked me into Slap ya Mama. She said "it gives you a nice taste of Louisiana without being overpowering". A little bit now goes into most of my rubs.

Comment

• Panhead John
          Panhead John commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes sir! Slap Ya Mama kicks ass! Discovered it about 15 years ago. That and Tony’s are the best. IMO. ( ofelles that stands for..”In my Opinion”)
          Last edited by Panhead John; December 25, 2020, 02:39 PM.

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          @Mr Bones - yep about the salt. When I use it on eggs I don’t salt or pepper. HA!

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Where does one find "quality" spices, to make your own. I have never used a commercial rub until, getting lucky enough to be gifted Oakridge BBQ, I tend to run less is more in my seasoning. It, I think it would be fun to sample a bit, and gift bottles of your own to friends, and neighbors. It, sourcing quality, in the idea of spices, I have no idea what defines that even.

Yup. Done used em. Good $#¡+, Maynard!!!

Great admirer of Big Moe, here...

Comment

Yes, I saw them 5 years ago on "close out" at K-Mart. Enjoy!!

Comment

Merry Christmas, looking forward to your review.

Comment

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Merry Christmas to you as well. I haven’t done a brisket in a while, need to do one soon. First I’ll try the other 3 and report back.

Seen them but not used. Available at Academy,

Comment

I am a fan of Big Mo. never used his rubs.

Comment

Well, I’m doing wings on the grill tonight and I just dusted em with my Big Mo’s Chicken Rub. Now I will say this, just from tasting it straight outta the jar....Best Rub I’ve ever tasted, bar none. The explosion of flavor in my mouth was incredible, heat...a little sweetness and some flavors I can’t describe. After putting it on the chicken, about 30 minutes later, the smell of it was incredible. I know this could change after cooking so I’ll report back after the cook.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Panhead John; December 28, 2020, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• MTurney
                  MTurney commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you touch on an interesting point here. Rubs usually taste completely different, unrecognizable in many cases after the cook as before it. Because of that I now just put together my own. I got tired of paying $9.99 per bottle for something that ends up tasting like salt in the end.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh yeah, I agree. The taste does change after cooking. Sometimes a lot. Fixing to light the grill now, so I definitely want to report back after the cook. But....I have a good feeling about this stuff. We’ll see.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB0EF2B2-BCB6-4D59-BBFC-F5560CA0E61E.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	964007Click image for larger version

Name:	56F3E624-8DD0-4F85-848E-391EB15D17A4.jpeg
Views:	292
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	964008 After cooking my wings with the rub, I still like it a lot! As usually is the case with rubs, the flavor was different than tasting it out of the jar, I knew it would. But, it was still good enough that I can definitely recommend this stuff! Still the best wing rub I’ve had.

Comment

• Red Man
                  Red Man commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great looking chicken, and that potato... 😋

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks! I’m about due to upgrade my dinner plates though. My line of paper plates puts this boring stuff to shame.

Is Moe's chicken rub still your favorite? My wife's favorite is Wing Commander by Fire and Smoke Society, but when I went to replenish our supply it appears they have stopped making it, so I need a new go to wing rub.

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  They’re both more savory, I think you’d really like either one!

• tstalafuse
                  tstalafuse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Does Richard have a website or did you deal directly with him?

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  PM him is what I did. No website.

I'm a fan of trying new rub's as who wants there BBQ to taste the same every time? Keep us posted on your next test cook with it. Your wings and tater are looking marvelous'. Last year while in TX I picked up a new one to me, being there wanted a home state rub. Love on burgers, Using it on my last brisket cook, just wish I'd put more on.

Big Moe's is available to me at ACE Hardware. We have one.

This what I picked up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3666.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	1534811

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’ve got that Sucklebusters rub too, good stuff!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here