Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memphis Dust Measurements for Smaller Batches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memphis Dust Measurements for Smaller Batches

Meathead's Memphis Dust is the only BBQ-style rub you'll ever need for anything pork! I've tried a lot of different rubs and nothing beats MD!

Meathead's recipe makes a lot of rub. I like to mix up less at a time. So for those that want to make a smaller amount of rub, here is the recipe scaled down:

Sugar 3 tbs (see notes)
    Brown sugar 3 tbs
    Paprika 2 tbs
    Kosher Salt 1 tbs (see notes)
    Garlic Powder 1 tbs
    Pepper 1.5 tsp
    Ground ginger 1.5 tsp
    Onion Powder 1.5 tsp
    Rosemary Powder 0.5 tsp

When I make it I substitute turbinado sugar (aka Sugar in the Raw) for the white and brown sugar so I don't have to worry about the brown sugar clumping. It doesn't have quite as strong of a molasses taste as the brown sugar, which is why I use all turbinado instead of the white/brown mix. It's also a coarser grind, so you'll end up with a slightly less sweet rub, which is fine by me and the DW, but you can add more to compensate.

MH took the salt out of the recipe back in May. He now prefers to dry brine instead and mentions that some meat you buy has already been injected with salt or brined, so this prevents over-salting. I haven't had a chance to explore this yet, so for now I'm leaving the salt in my rubs.

Today is the third time I've referenced this. Thanks for the post Mark!

Comment

You are welcome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here