Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rub Texture????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rub Texture????

I always do ribs dry and serve sauces on the side but the dry rub does have a bit of a grainy texture to it. Id like to eliminate that if I could

I thought about milling my rub to make it finer. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Other solutions?

you could run the rub through a coffee grinder to make it finer if you have something in it that is pretty coarse. I can't say i have had this issue though so i don't know. Maybe go lighter on the rub? or put some EVOO on first?

Comment

I do oil first for sure. Its a pretty fine texture. I'm going to try and run some thru the spice ginger just to see. I may have to warp 10 it in the Ninja.

Comment

How long do you let the rub sit on the ribs before putting them to the heat?

Comment

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          Ahhh, I think your on to something. Not long. Like 45 to an hour.

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Go at least four hours in the fridge and see what that does. I just run mine through a simple cheap sifter from wal-mart.

• Jon Solberg
          Jon Solberg commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm on this like a rat on a chetto Thx

what spices are in your rub? and can you help elaborate on grainy?

Comment

MMD / silica sand, very fine

EDIT:

RUB is MMD

TEXTURE is silica sand
          Last edited by Jon Solberg; August 11, 2014, 04:04 PM.

Comment

After I mix my MMD I tumble it and then but about a cup at a time in my mini blender and grind it to almost a powder state and then store it. I have a greek seasoning that o like to use as a rub and it is extra course out of the jar. I do the same for it and it is great.

Comment

What is MMD and why would you want it in your rub?

Comment

Well i looked through the ingredients and the only thing i would be curious about is the white sugar. but a coffee grinder should knock everything down.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks JR
                I agree, I'll run that threw a mill once. I think Jrods tip will pay big as well between the two things look bright. See what happens this weekend.

I use my food processor to make rubs have a lighter texture

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                I like that idea. I always process my brown sugar but never thought about processing the combined rub.

Thanks Grant

I dry & crush my brown sugar before making the rub. No grainy texture in my rub.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                I got a get off my backside do that drying thing. man I'm just lazy I'm thinkin

Spread your brown sugar out on a paper plate, thin layer to the edges. I think one reg size p-plate will hold about 1/2C quite easily. Pu tit in 230* oven for 20-30 min. Pull out, as it cools it makes some crackling sounds. Once cool adn hardened, bend the plate to loosen the brown sugar 'cookie' and slip it into a gal-sized ziplock bag, roll with rolling pin or glass jar, I use a full spaghetti or similar jar. Roll until it's all dust. Keep your rub bag sealed so it doesn't re-constitiute itself from ambient humidity or it may clump again after several days. If so it's only slightly.

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                Jon Solberg commented
                Editing a comment
                Question, did you ever try granulated brown sugar?

OR do you think granulated (white) sugar could be part of my problem?

Never have. I use granluated white sugar too and haven't noticed this. I would've guessed the juices from the ribs would meld the rub into a slight glaze and eliminate the grainy texture....I'm not sure why you have this.

Comment

I think Jrod has the answer with my short rub sit time. I'm going to 1: test my rub with a 4 hour sit. Then 2: test my rub with a run thru the mill on a short sit,

I think that one or the other will have a similar outcome. I dont know but it will be fun to get to the bottom of this mystery.

Which is why we're here right? The journey. opps sorry wrong journey.

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ah Grasshoppa, one must avoid the windshields on the road to BBQ fullness.

Jon try not rubbing your ribs on White's Beach. It could be the sand

Comment

• boftx
                  boftx commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Once again, there are just too many responses that are just plain wrong to that.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here