Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead Rubs Go Commercial?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've begun dry brining with commercial rubs I like and the difference is nill. Some, like some of Heaven Made Products' and Henrik's are lower salt so you can dry brine about half then add the seasoning now or later.

Comment

I love this! Bout time, Boss!

Your rubs deserve a spot at the local BBQ supply shop! Memphis Dust especially. It is the number one rub I recommend to people. Looking forward to seeing these on the market.

Comment

I am fine with salt being added - Meathead needs to be commercially viable with these, and as someone else pointed out, the public EXPECTS the rubs on the grocery store shelf to have salt in them.

I use a few commercial rubs when I am too lazy to mix up my own, and since they contain salt, I just apply the rub as my dry brine. Last few times I made steak, I used Henrik's Signature rub, and just put it on 3-4 hours before cooking the steaks, versus dry brining and then applying the rub.
        Last edited by jfmorris; November 13, 2020, 11:36 AM.

Comment

I agree with Huskee and a few others on the salt issue. It needs to be there IMO to be successful with the average public. I recently got a few rubs free with a grilling accessory I recently purchased. These 2 rubs had no salt in them. I tasted them out of the jar and didn’t like them. Just to be sure......I also used them on grilled meats and still didn’t like them. They’re sitting in my cabinet unused and I’ll probably give them away or toss em. I make my own rubs occasionally as well as buy off the shelf. And as Meathead has stated before, in all reality you’re not gonna actually ingest that much salt from a rub, once it’s spread over the meat and some falls off during cooking and then, the actual portion of meat you wind up eating.

Comment

Remember, people will have a choice: Make the salt-free rub from the recipe on AmazingRibs.com or buy a rub with salt in the store or website.

Comment

• Jared49
              Jared49 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yup, I will make my own MMD but will buy some of the other varieties for a change of pace.

Well all I've learned from our esteemed leader about the science behind proper salt bringing, the way it changes the structure of the proteins (in a good way) and my purist attitudes toward seasonings has me respectfully disagreeing with what seems to be the new prevailing wisdom. Do I use commercial rubs, you know I do? But I do find that some are overladened with the stuff so I prefer to make my own salt free blends, like Memphis Dust and especially MMD. I understand Meathead has to make it viable to make a buck, I get that. Just wish there was a source for his blends salt free. Alas, I will sulk into the corner and begin blending my own rubs as always. Good luck with the blends MH, I'll be in line to give them a try !!!

Comment

I used to rub everything 2-3 days in advance of cooking. My rubs always had salt in them. In the last couple of years I have been dry brining a lot more and putting the rub on no more than an hour before cooking. A lot of my rubs still have salt.

Using my old method, I would not dry brine and rub days in advance. In many ways I like my old method. My wife prefers the newer. She really does not like a big red gooey mess looking at her in a bag in the fridge for a couple of days. The dry brining doesn't have that effect. If I were to buy these rubs, I would definitely try both methods.

Comment

Since I dry brine with exact amount of salt I need and then add the rub on top before dry brining, this could be okay. However it would be best if in the ingredients the exact amount of salt was listed. That way folks in the know can compensate

Comment

• Polarbear777
                  Polarbear777 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don’t have to put amounts of any other ingredients, just the salt.

Good to hear from you Troutman

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here