Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt crust brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salt crust brisket

OH, but I DO love salt. in every way you can. to cook on it, in it, with it. I am more of a pork person myself. So, while I come by my cowboy Boots honestly, I am not that experienced with brisket. aside from corned beef, anyway. and I DO love some corned beef, slow cooked till it falls apart. yup. I think I like the second day reubens as much or more. I am going to try putting the reuben in a meat pie crust next time we do Corned beef.

I don't know if anyone has seen the Will it waffle stuff online. one cooking appliance and you are a chef!! I have, in the past, made my reubens in the waffle iron. nice white bread, nicely and generously buttered, I preheat the meat and kraut so it doesn't get soggy. yum.

Anyway. Back to salt. So, has anyone tried a salt Crust for your Texas Crutch? It is a simple enough dough, just flour and salt. same dough for making home made playdoh. and, of course any other herbs you would care to include. Since salt is such a great heat conductor, you can use it similarly to the Sous Vide. Nice and slow, then it can sit and hold temp for quite a while till you crack it.

I have used this method for chicken in the past. but, It seems like it would make a fine change for the Texas Crutch. and any time you can bring more flavor to the party, that's always a plus.

Thoughts?

hmmmm, need more details. I'm a sucker for salt. I've looked at all the snacks I prefer, they all have one thing in common, some side with salt I can place directly on my tongue as soon as it enters my alimentary canal.

HATE a misrepresented box of cheese-its.

One day I want to try a Brazilian brisket. COVER with all the salt you can cover it with (apparently they say it will only soak up so much salt), squeeze out 6 limes, throw the "spent" limes in with everything, wrap in foil, cook 'til done.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; June 19, 2015, 05:46 AM.

Comment

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      alimentary... ugh big word, I need to google that

on a side note, I hear Cheese-Its have a lot of anti-oxidants ( I tell my wife that when I want her to buy me a box lol )

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      all that Annatto coloring.

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife drinks plenty Coke, and things like that are rarity for me, and I am steady 6'0" 145....so me can consume whatever I wish without permission. smarkley

OK, the salt crust numbers, 5/3/1 1/2. 5 cups flour, 3 cups salt, 1 1/2 cup water and 5 egg whites. put your wets together, and your dries, then put them together and knead, then ziplock & stand at room temp to hydrate. it will take a few hours. you can make it the day before. roll it out, wrap it on your meat and back to heat. This is still somewhat an idea so I am not sure how long, yet. I would think about the same, perhaps a little longer than a crutch.

jerod, you won't pull too much of the salt into your meat. it is more of a heat conductor that seasoning the meat. When the temp is done, pull it out, sear it off.

That should work.

Also, any spices or herbs you want to enhance can go in the crust. but, I would think using it at crutch time is going to already have most of its flavor from the rub.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      coolness, thanks.....

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here