Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kosher salt comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kosher salt comparisons

Morton’s Kosher salt has been our go to salt for many years but it has disappeared from all our local grocery store shelves. I know the comparison rates between Diamond brand and Morton brand kosher salts, but even Diamond is getting hard to get. And I should state that I am not going to pay the ridiculous prices I see on Amazon or a few other sites for a box of Morton’s.

What we do have available is Badia brand kosher salt but I’m not using it for cooking yet until I know its saltiness when compared to the other familiar ones.

Anyone know the relative saltiness of Badia kosher vs either Morton’s or Diamond?

I would think the salinity would be the same but the crystal sizes would be different. When cooking or dry brining, I just go by weight: 1 tablespoon of Morton's Kosher salt is 18 grams (divide by three to get the teaspoon weight).

I'm trying to use up a 5 lb bag of Pink Himalayan Salt and I use this weight conversion. With the mineral content it would make sense that the salinity would be less than that of commercial Kosher salt but the percentages of minerals is pretty small. Everything has turned out fine so far using the weight conversion above.

Wet brining some Tasso right now with the pink Himalayan salt.
    Last edited by 58limited; September 5, 2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      this is the right answer... go by weight. If you don't have any Morton's to compare to, that won't be possible of course.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Yum!!! Want my address?

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Minerals are generally found in milligrams and micrograms. That run the body comparatively to macro nutrients. If something needs to work minerals are the go to.

In case anyone else runs into limited availability of certain brands of kosher salts then here are the results from my testing. Since we are totally out of Morton’s I used 58limited ‘s weight of 18 grams for one tablespoon of Morton’s.
    Weight of 1 level tablespoon in grams:

Mortons 18
    Diamond. 8.5
    Badia 15.5

The Diamond was just where I expected it would be compared to Morton’s based on published articles. The Badia is very close to Morton’s so I will use it at the same rates as Morton’s.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      I use diamond at work and Morton’s at home. Sometimes.... oops.

Here is a nice quick reference chart for several types of salt (the conversion chart is for volume, not weight): https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/salt-by-weight/

From the webpage:

To convert from one salt to another: The row across the top is the salt the recipe calls for, and the column at the left is the salt you want. Scroll down the column to the row for the recipe’s salt, then move to the right until you get to the column of the salt you have, and multiply the amount in the recipe by that number. (Then I cheat a little, and round to the nearest number that matches my measuring spoons.)

Example: A recipe calls for 1 tablespoon of Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt, and you have Mortons Kosher salt. Find the Diamond Crystal row in the column at the left, go across until you get to the Mortons Kosher column, 0.7. The multiplication is easy: you want 1 x 0.7 = 0.7 tablespoons. (Since I know a tablespoon is 3 teaspoons, and 3*0.7 = 2.1 teaspoons, I round down a little and use 2 teaspoons of Mortons.)

Below the conversion chart on the webpage there is also a chart of weight comparisons.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Salt-Conversion-Chart-DadCooksDinner--840x473.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.3 KB ID:	906480
    Last edited by 58limited; September 6, 2020, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, but what if mixed 3/4 cup Diamond Crystal Kosher salt with 1/3 cup Mortons Kosher salt with 1/5 cup Real Salt kosher salt and I need 7.5 tbsps La Baleine Coarse sea salt?

That's what I want to know.

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Algebra is your friend.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here