Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spiced up Memphis Dust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spiced up Memphis Dust?

I really like MMD and use it on most things, especially pork and chicken parts. I enjoy the flavor in general and especially the way it's flavors Melissa with my Rum Molasses BBQ Sauce. But the timing is, we like spicy food and Memphis Dust, as delicious as it is, is not spicy at all. I'm interested in spicing up MMD, especially when only cooking for the 2 of us. Has anybody experimented with and/or settled on a modification of MMD that it's spicier than the original, yet still has the same overall flavor profile? I can, and will, experiment on my own but I was hoping somebody out there will be willing to give me a head start.

Thanks.

Spicy no, hot YES. I mixed the Memphis dust with some of my Trigeminal/Trifecta brisket rub on some ribs and it had a nice heat to it. I think 50/50.

Comment

okay, that makes things so much clearer. I was trying to figure out how you would slice Memphis Dust.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Typo. Just noticed it now. Sorry.

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 I figured it out, just having a bit o' fun

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        ecowper - Of course. As you should. No worries.

I always add chili flakes to mine and it works for me, then agsin I put chili flakes in lots of things 😊. I tried cayenne pepper but wasn't as good but that could have just been about ratios.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Flakes always better than powder in my opinion!

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Mudkat greetings stranger, trust you are well Sir.

I mix it with BBBR 50/50. Then began goign 33:33:33 with those and my rib rub. But 50/50 w/ BBBR you would probably enjoy.

Comment

• Loren
        Loren commented
        Editing a comment
        I like your maths there 😎

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Loren - here in the U.S., we only have 1 math. Just saying. 😁

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Maths are hard, I try to use them sparingly Loren

I will add 1/2 tsp or more of smoked cayenne to 3 tsp of MMD for a little kick.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. That seems like a lot by volume.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55 Yeah, it makes it jump. I'll sometimes finish with a KC style sauce to balance it out. Did some chicken thighs with that concoction yesterday and when I heard my wife hiccuping I knew I got it right.

It is my experience that the recipe is pretty good, and able to support some heat - how the heat gets in there is up to you

I have put in extra pepper before, turned out okay.

I also put in some mystery ground hot peppers that turned out pretty good. Unfortunately it was a freebie from a family friend who didn't know what pepper it was, other then hot

Comment

You may not have to mess with MMD, try layering flavors. Hot sauce for a binder, salt, then MMD.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for responding. I don't generally use any binders, though.

Love the MMD. After eating ribs at Rodney Scott's in Charleston, and loving the spicy kick of their rub, started thinking about spicing up my own rub. Started with Texas Gunpowder which is jalapeno based. Then went with straight cayenne. I don't seem to ever add too much! I just add it in with the regular recipe mix. Of course, we love spicy/hot foods, too.

Comment

I too like spicy rubs. I substitute Hatch red chili powder for the paprika in MMD I buy my chili powder here: https://madeinnewmexico.com/products...-chile-powders. I buy 1 pound of hot, 1 pound of medium and mix them together. I use this for MMD and my own enchilada sauce recipe. Nothing beats Hatch chilies. They have a very distinct and wonderful flavor. Not cheap but worth every nickle.

Comment

My modified MMD is without question my go to for pork of nearly any cut. I’ve done a kicked up version by adding crushed red pepper. I’ll further break it up in the mortar and pestle with the other herbs I’m grinding.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here