Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morton's Kosher Salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Morton's Kosher Salt

Has anyone had issues with the texture of Morton's brand of kosher salt? The current box i have seems to be mostly table salt with a few flakes of course salt mixed in.
    Attached Files

maybe it was the shake at the bottom of the bag...

Comment

Yes, I've had the same experience. For a while all the boxes we purchased had smaller grains.

Comment

Same. Past 2 boxes have been "grainier" than flakey.

Comment

Not yet. I suffered through a box of diamond salt that I felt was way too fine. I went back to Morton's and found flaky goodness.
          Last edited by Attjack; July 31, 2020, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny. I prefer Diamond Crystal over Morton's. Something about the slightly smaller granules just feels better in my fingers. I have not had any issues with it. Once, a while back, I ended up with a box of Morton's and couldn't wait for it to be empty so I could go back to Diamond Crystal.

• Parkin
            Parkin commented
            Editing a comment
            I've been cooking with Diamond Crystal all my life...pretty consistent and I'm used to it.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I want the biggest flakes possible. You can always rub them between your fingers if you want it finer. I also like Maldon. I miss the salt shop that was in walking distance from my house. It closed this year.

I have used Morton's kosher salt for quite awhile and never really thought about the varying texture/size of the applied product. Actually I'd be surprised if each piece of salt (I hesitate to call them grains) were all identical. If it is actually "kosher" salt does the difference in size really make any difference? In my case the little I use at any one time should make no real difference in the concentration. Am I missing something?

Comment

• blbvtec
            blbvtec commented
            Editing a comment
            If measuring by volume it definitely matters. The smaller crystals also dissolve very quickly on the surface of meat.

I noticed this with the last box as well. My problem is I do not have alot of other options around here.

Comment

• blbvtec
            blbvtec commented
            Editing a comment
            Amazon has several options if not at your local grocer.

It has been months since I purchased a box, but I haven’t noticed any difference.

Comment

No difference here.

Comment

I noticed on the most recent box of Morton's Kosher Salt I bought it included "Coarse" on the label and had a photo of the granule size on the back of the box. It was sold as Morton's Coarse Kosher Salt and definitely had larger granules than the last box of Morton's Kosher Salt that I had purchased. Those grains were so small that I thought I had bought table salt by mistake.

It looks as though Mortons have gotten more specific by adding the word Coarse to the Morton's Kosher Salt label. Even the box looks different.

I went to the Morton's website and the Morton Salt Conversion Table still suggests 1 1/4 tsp of their Coarse Kosher salt as a substitute for 1 tsp Morton's Table Salt for amounts above 1 teaspoon.

Kathryn

Comment

I noticed that, too. Had been using up a box of Morton's Kosher when I found an older box in the back of the pantry a couple of weeks ago. When I opened it I was surprised at the difference in the size of the crystals, but I figured the newer box was a fluke. Yesterday I saw the new, different box, with "coarse" in the name, at the grocery. I'll probably pick up a fresh box next time to compare the two.

Comment

I have been using Diamond Kosher for several years now. I haven't been able to find it lately and I bought Morton's Kosher. I instantly noticed a granular size difference, as the Mortons seemed to be larger and more coarse. The first couple of cooks were a little saltier than I'm used to, so had to make adjustments on the pinching amount.

Comment

Mortons just replied to my inquiry with them and asked that i send them a sample to their QC team. They are sending me a "sample collection kit" and a coupon for a free box.

Comment

Himalayan pink rock salt is a great addition to your kitchen. If you’re not familiar with it, google it. I use Morton’s also, never really noticed any problems with texture.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here