Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended dry rubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommended dry rubs

I'm looking for recommendations for dry rubs for pork ribs. I'm doing a lot of smoking of ribs and keep trying various commercial brands. I've tried some from Dizzy Pig, Oakridge, and a few others. I've also made my own. Nothing has stood out, so I was wondering what others are using and recommend. I hear a lot of good things about Oakridge, but there are so many variations it makes selection more of a trial and error affair.

We are fans of Caribeque products. Honey Heat for chicken and pork. https://www.caribeque.com/

Comment

Have you tried MMD? It's Meathead's recipe and available on the free side. Huskee doctors it up a bit, but I have not tried his version.

Comment

• Jared49
        Jared49 commented
        Editing a comment
        ^what he said!^

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        My favorite rib rub is a 33:33:33 (roughly) mix of my own rib rub, MMD, and Meathead's BBBR. THAT makes some awesome ribs!

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll have to try your combo Huskee

This is one of my favorites for ribs. In fact I’m actually using it for brisket burnt ends tomorrow https://h2qshop.com/collections/kill...gs-the-bbq-rub

Comment

For ribs I mix equal parts of kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, granulated onion, and granulated garlic. Then I mix it with an equal part of brown sugar. To 6 tablespoons of that mix I add 1 tablespoon of dry mustard and 1 1/2 teaspoon of celery seed.
        Last edited by LA Pork Butt; August 2, 2020, 06:40 AM.

Comment

I am really loving Henrik's Signature seasoning. I have been using it alot lately on pork ribs. I like it so much that I don't even bother sauce the ribs.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            That is great to hear, much appreciated!

I am a fan of most of Malcolm Reed's rubs. Use his AP seasoning all the time. HowtoBBQright.com

Comment

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            His Killer Hog Rubs are legit.

I did a side-by-side of Memphis Dust and Salt & Pepper (only) on a couple of racks yesterday. Although I missed a little of the sweetness on the S&P's, there was more of the meaty "umami"/pure pork tast on those as well as perhaps a more distinct smoke profile. Love the MMD, but will definitely repeat this whenever I am cooking more than one rack.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FC16AC6E-E04F-4D99-BB9D-1B45CD6A8993.jpeg
Views:	307
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	889821Click image for larger version

Name:	A8B8EE20-7EAE-44E5-8F0D-A7B46EFBC0F4.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	889819Click image for larger version

Name:	D0E4710B-88A1-4548-B609-6D5C1A294336.jpeg
Views:	304
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	889820

Comment

• BBQPhil
            BBQPhil commented
            Editing a comment
            I started out using s+p and may go back and try. Aesthetically, like the darker finish.

I have started using a double layer of POG and MMD. Pretty happy with that on ribs.

The only commercial I've used on pork and chicken is the AP Mojo Rub that Atlanta Grill Co sent me with my Fireboard.

It's pretty good. I'll probably order another bottle when this runs out.

Man Cave Meals proudly presents an All Purpose Mojo rub (AP for short). This rub goes great on anything and everything. Put it on chicken, pork, beef, seafood and veggies. As always, eat as your own risk.  Ingredients: Kosher salt, black pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire powder, mustard powder, monosodium glutamate
          Last edited by BFlynn; August 1, 2020, 02:59 PM.

Comment

MeatChurch brand makes some good stuff. You mentioned Oak Ridge, they are my go to for most rubs. Have really liked what they make.

Comment

Hank’s KC Royale is excellent on ribs and his signature rub is excellent on pretty much anything.

Comment

Everyone that I've cooked ribs for in the past couple years LOVES MMD...and I'm quite partial to it myself...though I have been known to amp up the heat a bit depending on who I'm cooking for.

That's the beauty of making your own, as long as starting with someone else's most excellent recipe...one can riff on it to "make it your own." As long as the base (original) is sound, tweaking it to your likes is pretty simple.

Comment

I’m a fan of Meat Mitch Competition Rub on ribs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here