Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Orleans Style Seasoning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Orleans Style Seasoning?

I’m debating a New Orleans style seasoning for pork chops and chicken. Should I use Amazingribs’ Creole seasoning or their Cajun seasoning? I’m sure I’ll get to both eventually, just looking for any opinions on them. Thanks!

Try em' both! And welcome to The Pit!

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
      Matt Bykowski commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure I will eventually. Thanks.

I grew up in New Orleans, and traditional New Orleans style cooking was Creole. Cajun is the style developed by the folks forced out of Canada who settled in South Louisiana. Over time Cajun cooking made it to New Orleans. They have similarities but differences. I think in general you will find the Cajun heavier on the pepper. You will probably be happy with either, but if you have the time and energy try both side by side to see which you like best.

Comment

• Sephon
      Sephon commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here, I always read it as "la pork butt" Spanish for, "the pork butt"

• CaliforniaDad
      CaliforniaDad commented
      Editing a comment
      @LAPorkButt - so, when making something like gumbo, is the more "traditional" flavor Creole seasoning or Cajun seasoning?

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      CaliforniaDad it depends on whether you are making a Creole or Cajun gumbo. Beside the spice difference the Creole will have some tomato and the Cajun won’t.

I am partial to Emeril Legasse’s Bayou Blast. Ironically, Emeril is from Massachusetts!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
      LA Pork Butt commented
      Editing a comment
      I really like his shrimp seasoning.

• Matt Bykowski
      Matt Bykowski commented
      Editing a comment
      My trying to get to a rub to use, got me to a list of them. Great problem to have, thanks all.

• Whiskeyman53
      Whiskeyman53 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just found my rub for my Cajun chicken thighs that I'm grilling Monday. Thanks ScottyC13. Hopefully I can do Massachusetts proud with this cook.

They're both tasty. I'll make the creole seasoning sometimes.
    The cajun seasoning has 3x the ingredients, which means I make 9x the mess, so I don't make that one anymore. For cajun season I use salt free Slap Ya Mama in the white can.
    ​​​​

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
      Matt Bykowski commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know. Thanks.

Welcome to The Pit.

If possible, I'd do a side by side comparison. Something like wings or individual pieces of chix. Put each rub on a piece or two to compare, and if you want to get really wild, mix the two rubs and put that on a piece or two too.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
        Matt Bykowski commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I'm loving it.

I ended up going with Emeril's. https://www.emerils.com/121705/emeri...ed-bayou-blast

Good stuff, thanks all!

I know I'll get to the Amazingribs versions soon, but thought I'd start the option I happened to have all the ingredients for.

Currently I"m on the 30 day trial membership. All these responses are one more reason I'm convinced it's more than worth it to pay for the annual membership.

Cheers!

Comment

• Matt Bykowski
        Matt Bykowski commented
        Editing a comment
        Done

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Eventually you’ll be like the rest of us and have 20-25 different rubs made up without labels so you can never remember which one is which...😂😂

• Matt Bykowski
        Matt Bykowski commented
        Editing a comment
        Been there. Always end up with a Frankenstein rub, I've got one going now. One of the random pieces of advice I since picked up, use painters tape to label containers. Simple to write on (with a date, anothing pointer I picked up) and it easily peels off when you are empty.

Welcome to the pit. I have a jar of both in the cabinet - just used the cajun on a turkey breast. Hope you decide to become a regular around here!

Comment

I like Cajun on my pork. I have a jar of homemade rub that just says "Cajun rub". I think the original recipe source was Emeril. It’s actually what’s for 4th of July picnic. Cajun rubbed pork with my home made BBQ sauce...

Comment

Another option to consider down the line is the Holy Voodoo from Meat Church. https://www.meatchurch.com/collectio...odoo-seasoning

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 Good stuff !!

• Matt Bykowski
            Matt Bykowski commented
            Editing a comment
            Have had and loved the Voo Doo. Great recommendation, that was my inspiration for trying the Amazingribs Cajun rubs.

I keep preaching it, the choir gets it !!!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Good stuff!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            The best.

• Matt Bykowski
            Matt Bykowski commented
            Editing a comment
            I bought some about a week ago. Today I'm using it to make shrimp burgers. Previously made shrimp burgers a few few months ago with Meat Church Holy Voodoo (love the Voo Doo) , they were great! I'm looking forward to seeing how Tony's stacks up.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here