Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Citric Acid in Homemade rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Citric Acid in Homemade rub?

Good morning pitmaster club, Has anyone had experience adding in their own citric acid into their own rubs? I'm a sour feind and bought a jar just to have. I'm going to experiemnt this weekend, but wanted to know if anyone had experiences good or bad with adding it to a homemade rub. It seems like its in most store bought, but in searching the pitmaster club, not overly prevalent in peoples rub reciepes.

Let me know if you you have ever put in too much, or too little, or if there is a giant reason its generally not included in homemade rubs.

FYI, doing st. louis ribs this weekend.

My current batch of MMD has some True Orange and some True Lemon mixed in, because I like that citrus note, particularly on chicken.

I made some pork chops with it, and it worked well. I used it with about equal amounts to the ground rosemary, as I only wanted a note, not to overwhelm.

Comment

Thanks PKB, ground rosemary tidbit exactly what i was hoping for. also going to check out the true (insert citrus here) brand!

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I got a big four pack of True... lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit. Each packet works in a beverage like a wedge of said fruit. Has a very good juice flavor. Lacks zest though. So dried peel makes up the difference where I need more.

I have. Go easy on the citric acid, but it sure adds a nice tang.

Comment

It adds an acidic note to a rub or sauce, but no flavor. Go easy on it or it will break down the meat.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here