Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, who else has done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, who else has done this?

I made some ribs the other day. And I needed to mix up some more rub, so I was looking in the space cabinet. And I saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	225381CD-0B3B-40C7-937E-30F6CEA162CA.jpeg
Views:	283
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	859369

Now, I don’t know what the hell that is. I mixed it up some time ago, didn’t use all of it, and now, who knows? It isn’t MMD or BBRB, and it isn’t S&G or generic Italian.

It’s decent enough, and I know that it goes on either beef, pork or chicken; in fact, it is definitely for chicken. But who knows what I mixed up in there!

I have but I've gotten better at labeling my rubs now
    Last edited by Andrrr; June 9, 2020, 01:09 PM. Reason: Dang autocorrect

Comment

I am guilty of the same thing. But I always figure I made it, used some it, and did not toss the rest so it must be good. Take a taste with my finger, guess which meat type it goes good with, and toss it on. Usually works out fine. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Looks like my cabinet .

Comment

Yep. I had a container of what I assumed was old Katz's pastrami rub, made with white pepper so it was somewhat incognito. Not even sure how old it was but old enough that I didn't know what it was.

Comment

I have fridge stuff also like that. Told my wife we need to make sure we label everything because we have no clue what 5+ jars are. Been looking for removable tags for the fridge for that reason. We are starting to get better with rubs and stuff.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              I use painter's tape, an a sharpie...
              Cheap, an way better than nuthin, low residue

• JimLinebarger
              JimLinebarger commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones That's a nice simple fix. Was way over my head. Thanks for the info.

Been there, done that. So, now I either label it or throw it out to eliminate the guessing game.

Comment

I might have to taste it, but I can always figure out what it is, on the off chance I forgot to label it.

Comment

It happens here too. Need to smell, taste, and maybe pitch?

Comment

This is what happens when we drink beer and make rubs. So yes, it has occurred more than once at our house.

Comment

That's what you use to make Secret Spice (enter protien name here).

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Secret Spice Mystery Meat

Just take all the unmarked jars that you can't identify and mix them together. That way you will have all protein covered.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Best answer yet lol

. If it’s good, who gives a rip! Zip it & eat! 🕶

Comment

Yep used to do that. Then walking through the canning section a few years back saw white canning covers. Ding, ding, ding. Bought a sleeve of 10. Now using a black marker, label the lid when I make a rub. The other thing I got away from with the white plastic was the corrosion of the metal from the spices and herbs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here