Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No Sugar rib rub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Sugar rib rub?

Doing some St Louis on the primo tomorrow and have them dry brining tonight. Every rack I have ever done has been with Memphis Dust. I love the stuff.....but am looking for change.

Does anyone have a good rib rub recipe without the sugar component and more savory?

Thanks in advance.

Make a Pig Crust out of the Cow Crust.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea

8 tablespoons paprika
    4 tablespoons granulated garlic
    4 tablespoons chili powder
    3 tablespoons course ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon mustard powder
    1.5 tablespoon celery seed
    1 tablespoon oregano
    1 tablespoon thyme
    2 teaspoon allspice
    2 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon MSG
    Attached Files

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      I dont have any MSG, but the rest is in the pantry!!!

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      pjlstrat it can be omitted. You won't be disappointed.

• RamaJama
      RamaJama commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just posting this recipe when I saw you already had. It is really good

I keep mine pretty simple:

2 Tbs Black pepper
    3 Tbs Sweet Hugarian paprika
    1 Tbs Smoked paprika
    1 Tbs garlic powder
    1 Tbs onion powder
    1 Tbs Thyme
    1 Tbs Mexican oregano or regular if you don't have Mexican
    1/2 tsp Cayenne - you can increase or decrease to taste
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 6, 2020, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks great...thank you.

If ya need to sauce them before pulling off the grill, try 3 tbs teriyaki sauce, one tsp soy sauce, (use low sodium if you brined the ribs) and some chili bean paste. The chili bean paste is very spicy, so try maybe 1/2 tsp. I have been using a thick Kikoman teriyaki sauce, but it appears that they have stopped making it, so I'm lookin' for a replacement. If you can't find a thick teriyaki, it will be too runny for a sauce.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

My rub would be combo of texastweeter and mountainsmoker depending on what's in the pantry.
    I like what brown sugar does for my cooks but I can see wanting to try something different.
    Last edited by smokin fool; June 6, 2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you.

Originally posted by pjlstrat View Post
    Doing some St Louis on the primo tomorrow and have them dry brining tonight. Every rack I have ever done has been with Memphis Dust. I love the stuff.....but am looking for change.

Does anyone have a good rib rub recipe without the sugar component and more savory?

Thanks in advance.
    A rub without sugar! INCONCEIVABLE!

I use a commercial rub often on pork that has no sugar added called Bad Byron's Butt Rub. It was my go to rub for butts and pork ribs if I didn't have a jar of Rendezvous seasoning in the pantry, and before I discovered MMD. I don't have the recipe, but know a sugar free rub can work well.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Princess Bride Reference, and thank you for the post

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also use Bad Byron's. Love it on anything pork.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Mix that 50/50 with coffee and apply heavy on brisket...not too shabby.

Jerod Broussard texastweeter mountainsmoker RonB smokin fool jfmorris Jfrosty27 First I would like to thank all of you for your responses and help. I ended up using a mix of both of the recipes posted here.

As fate would have it I did not mix up enough rub and did not have enough for the last rack. I looked in the cupboard and had some left over MMD from my last cook, and used it on the last rack. So inadvertently I did a dry rub taste test.

Bottom line, While I very much liked the new rub, there is no comparison to MMD. It will stick with that......until the next unintended experiment.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
      mountainsmoker commented
      Editing a comment
      It may be because MMD has both white and brown sugar?

Aaron Franklin uses just pepper, salt, granulated garlic at Franklin BBQ .... might be worth a shot to compare that .... will be all about the meat and the smoke at that point, I think.

Comment

When we went into lockdown, our grocery was completely out of brown sugar.
      I made MMD subbing Coconut sugar for brown and it was much less sweet.

It was a good change of pace. I wouldn't use it all the time, but I'd use it again.

Comment

Nothing fancy, but equal parts of paprika, black pepper, granulated garlic, and granulated onion works for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here