Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FOGO Black Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOGO Black Rub

Hi all - I saw a few old posts about black rubs - charcoal added - but I wondered if anyone had tried the FOGO one? I don't usually buy rubs, but I am working a lot of jobs at the moment (work, teacher, babysitter, playmate, husband, cooking a ton), all from home, that I may need to simplify my life. It looks...weird, but I wondered if anyone had some hands on experience? Does the charcoal add anything or just a gimmick (my assumption)?

Thanks in advance

LINK TO RUB (not sure why I am shouting...):
    The Essence of Charcoal Grilling Bring out the best in chicken, beef, pork and steaks. The FOGO Charcoal Rub enhances both the flavor and texture of the protein or vegetable you are cooking and takes it to the next level.

I have tried it. I don't notice anything other than it making the meat black. I have used the one from Jess Pryles too and it is nothing special.

Personally I think it's a gimmick. They all tasted like regular seasoning salt.

I love FOGO charcoal, there is nothing better for my kamados, but that is what they should stick too.

Comment

• pknj
      pknj commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks - that's what I feared. I actually cooked with their charcoal for the fist time last night and I was impressed with the clean burn and no ash. Was on their website ordering more and saw the rub. Will pass for sure now!

My briskets come out black using only salt & coarse pepper or using any other home-made or commercial rubs. I too am one who's leery of 'black rubs'. The exception being blackening seasoning for seafood but that's a different ballgame entirely.

Comment

I've tried a few, but FOGO isn't one of them. So far the only one with actual flavor to me has been the hardcore carnivore offering. Having said that, we eat with our eyes, and a dash of a black rub even into your favorite normal rub does add something different presentation wise. The charcoal itself is just a gimmick... unless you're into alternative medicine, then supposedly there's some health benefits or some such.

Comment

• pknj
        pknj commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm Irish, the only alternative medicine I need comes in a bottle and is at least 40 proof.

I like the flavor of the FOGO rub for stuff like flank or tri tip. I don't know if the charcoal really brings anything except color (which does make the meat look pretty cool) but I like the flavor. The Hardcore Carnivore Black is similar. Different flavor but still good.

Comment

Try Paul Pruhomme Blackened for meat or for fish. They have a real nice flavor as they should since he invented the blackening craze. No charcoal just high heat. https://www.amazon.com/Chef-Paul-Bla...482003&sr=8-15
        Last edited by mountainsmoker; May 14, 2020, 01:10 PM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          actual blackening seasoning is great stuff, but I like the charcoal ones for things like a smoked steak where you don't get a full crusting action

FOGO? Fear of Going Out?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here