Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low sodium smoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low sodium smoking

Just diagnosed with CHF and looking for low sodium rub/brine ideas.

Make your own rubs from the website as is, no salt. Reduce brining amount by 50% (1/4 teaspoon Kosher per pound). Go from there.

Comment

I agree whole heartedly with Jerod. By making your own rubs without salt you can control the amount of sodium you consume in your cooking by reducing the amount in the brining process. Low sodium diets are not a total ban on salt but a restriction on the amount. While luckily no one in our family needs to follow a low sodium diet we still make all rubs without salt. As you will find when tracking your intake, hidden sodium levels in purchased and prepared foods are going to be shocking. That is one thing we are religious about avoiding. Good luck, you can do this and still eat well.

Comment

I'll go farther. Drop the brining altogether. I'm not at all certain that, with all the other stuff in the rub and decent smoke, that you NEED it. Prefer it maybe, but I suspect that you can make a perfectly tasty set of ribs, pulled pork, etc with no salt at all. it will be an adjustment but try it for a few cooks.
        Last edited by rickgregory; April 30, 2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I started using MSG where I can to replace salt due to hypertension. It still has sodium, but it's about 1/3 less and I don't use as much MSG as salt. I don't think you can brine with it, but I try to sprinkle some on meat separate from rub to enhance flavor instead of salt . Does great in soups. It like anything else has a controversy around it. Products containing MSG have to be labeled as having MSG because there have been unfounded reports of "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" but there is no published evidence of this condition being real. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5694874/

Most of your sodium intake comes from prepackaged foods, not from sprinkling on your roasts so look to the pantry first.

Comment

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            Not medical advice, always consult your physician.

^^^^Great advise.
          I stopped putting salt in my homemade rub years ago.
          When buying rubs always check the nutrition label for ingredients and steer clear of salt laced rubs.
          The only meat I do brine is turkey but use less than 1/4 of the kosher salt called for.
          Never dabbled with cooking with MSG so no comment on that subject.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here