Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticking a Rub to a Chub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sticking a Rub to a Chub

Some years ago, at a BBQ restaurant about 60 miles from here, I had a few slices of smoked bologna with a thick & crusty rub applied. Since then, I have tried to replicate the effect, with little success. Oh, I can get some to stay on, but not much really.

I'm looking for suggestions from other members here on how to accomplish this.

I typically use Chef Paul Prudhomme's Poultry Magic for the rub.

Thanks in advance...

Have you try mixing the rub with some olive oil to form a paste?

Comment

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Not Olive, but vegetable. Usually rub the chub with the oil, then apply the rub. Slits cut in the bologna, of course.
      Last edited by TheCountofQ; May 14, 2015, 11:41 PM.

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      You can also use a sticky solution just as maple syrup. Brush the syrup all over the Bologna then sprinkle the rub on it.

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Haven't tried the syrup, DWC. What are the temp/time limitations of syrups, or honey, before burning? That's got me wondering about Strawberry or Apricot preserves / jelly. Best ham I ever had used strawberry jelly.

Not sure how thick and crusty you are going for, but when I do bologna I slice like you mention, put on a really thick layer of mustard and then heavy rub, making sure I get it all in the cracks. I cut the bottom square and stand them on end. The bottom layer gets really thick and good, but the rest is pretty good too.

I think I applied another layer of rub just after this pic, but not much.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	B3.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	82955

This was after cooking for a bit, those deep cuts really open up. At this point you want to start saucing it, getting way down in the cracks. I know it doesn't look like a crust yet, but it will

Name:	B4.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	82951

Started slicing once temp was reached, you can see it darkened up quite a bit.

Name:	B5.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	160.6 KB
ID:	82952

The ring is good, but look at those end pieces. Need to cube em, coat em with sauce and have some hillbilly burnt ends!

Name:	B6.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	82953

Fried up a slice on the skillet for a test sandwich. If you aren't sure how to prepare, all you need is white bread, mayo, and bologna.

Name:	B7.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	82954

A lot of people won't try it because they are too good for bologna somehow, but around Arkansas and Oklahoma this is a lot of folks favorite. I cooked 40 pounds of it for an event along with 30 pounds of pork shoulder, this was gone first. Speaking of which, a common sandwich around here is pulled pork with a slice of bologna.
    Attached Files

Comment

• CandySueQ
      CandySueQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Those photos made me hungry for smoked, fried bologna!

Very Nice, John!

I would like to try that, but I fear I would have to eat it alone

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      A lot of people love it when they try it, the problem is getting them to try it, I cut little wedges with plenty of bark and just tell them it's all beef. I sometimes do just regular bologna, but I think these were 100% beef.

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      You mentioned saucing them. What type of sauce are you using?

I'm not to good to eat bologna, heck I was raise up on fried bologna and still love it. I've never smoke any but I will now. Thanks _John_ for the info & pics.

Comment

Fried bologna sandwiches are one of my favorite things from childhood. We were so poor growing up fried bologna was as good as steak to me.

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        I have always heard it called the "po man's steak"

It should be no surprise that I'm an Okie then, John. Have had plenty of fried balogna /mayo sandwiches, although never with pulled pork. Will have to try it. I liked 'em best with melted Velveeta, as a child. Nowadays, just give me a fork and some "Knotty Pine" BBQ sauce though.

I haven't tried a mustard, assuming the rub would just run off the sides as it does with the oil. Maybe setting it uncovered in the fridge for a while, so it gets a bit dry before it goes on the smoke would help?

It looks like you did a large chub there. I usually do the ones about the width of a soda can, and cook them on their side, not end, with only three pretty deep slits lengthwise.

I think I'm going for a bit more rub than you have there. Probably like those bottom pieces. What you have there is about like what I end up with (on a good day that is).

Comment

Mustard hangs on much better, put on a thick layer, then rub, then leave it uncovered in the fridge, the mustard will dry and harden a little and won't drip off.

And I'm a Head Country guy myself.

The Mississippi Peacemaker

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          WOW!

Yellow mustard works fine, so does the fancy brown mustard (I like Guldens). Any rub you'd use on pork works.

My life got better when WalMart here in Pine Bluff, started carrying Head Country sauce.

Comment

Head Country is pretty popular around the nation now, so I am told. I'm not a fan personally, but there a very few sauces I really like. Knotty Pine now... for my sixth birthday, that was at the very top of my wish list, one container of their sauce. No meat, no sides, just the sauce. I love the stuff still. Too bad the original location burned two or three times. Was one of those joints that began as a bar, way back when and became a bbq spot. Anyway, if y'all ever get by Tulsa, check 'em out. Not the best quality meat, but good. I recommend the chopped beef sandwiches and balogna, beans, and slaw. And you will want some sauce to go....

Comment

We don't use Bologna but a similar German creation called Leberkase that we get at the local German sausage maker. There's nothing better and we serve sandwiches with Caramelized onions and some good mustard.
            Last edited by Don Jr; May 21, 2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here