Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exotic Spices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic Spices?

I like trying new spices. I have an order of Asafetida an Indian spice that's called for in most of the recipes in my Indian-ish cookbook. It should arrive in time for dinner which is good because it's Indian food night.

Tomorrow is rib night though and I've created a new rub to try. I'm calling it Green Mango Rib Rub because it has Amchur in it which is powdered green mango. Also featured in this rub are lemongrass powder and gochugaru powder. I like the taste of the rub and look forward to trying on the ribs (from my sister's pig farm).

Do any of you use unique spices that you want to recommend?

I don't know how "unique" it is, but I'm starting incorporate garam masala into more dishes.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a good one. I would say it's on the exotic side for typical American diets at least.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a few different Garam Marsala recipes. FYI, there are "cooked" and "uncooked" Garam marsalas. The cooked ones can be sprinkled it mixed into dishes that are finished and eaten right away. The uncooked ones benefit from, and are intended, to be added in the last few minutes of cooking during which they get cooked as well. Sorry if I'm telling you things you already know.

I have been using asafoetida for many years (20?} It gives Indian dishes that extra "tastes like a restaurant" flavor. I highly recommend it.

Comment

I have amchur also, but hardly ever use it.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I read about somewhere and immediately ordered it on impulse but I can remember where I read about it or how it was used so figured it was time for a new BBQ rub to break it in.

• ILikePigButts
        ILikePigButts commented
        Editing a comment
        It's usually used as a sweetener in curries. Just dried mango powder

If you haven't tried Sichuan peppercorns, give them a shot. Outstanding flavor and a lingering buzz in your mouth. Not exactly heat, but a tremendous feeling. I put them in many Chinese stir fries and plan to grind some into a rub some day.

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        They are awesome.

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to get some. They were already on my list.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes very cool but use less than you think the first time. They are surprising. I think the key is to add enough the you notice them but they don’t dominate, which they easily can.

I often use salt and pepper.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Ronb is a wild man.

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes. RonB has stepped over the line.

I like sumac for many things, even just simple sautéed veggies. Not really that exotic anymore.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto. Have been on to it before it was cool, tho.

I caught a sale on Harissa that I’m going to try in a rub.
      not sure how exotic mushroom seasoning is, but I love it on any type of cooked meat.

Comment

I keep mine pretty basic. I have some crazy hot chili powder flakes from the farm, but other than that, maybe the star anise I have. Now, I go through salt and black pepper by the pound.

Comment

Asafoetida is super pungent and usually added to hot oil to sizzle for a few seconds before the rest of the ingredients get added. Just a small pinch is enough, any more than that and you'll want to plug your nose. It's also referred to as hing, which is easier to spell and pronounce.

Also, mustard oil helps add pungency to a dish, but in the US it is marketed as "not for human consumption" so you won't find it in the grocery section of the super market. It's usually sold as a massaging oil here. The reason is that not enough research has been done on it as a food in the US, but years and years of Indian cooking have determined it is safe enough for me, so I use it sometimes.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, you have to keep that devil's dung sealed nice and tight in your kitchen... (Devil's Dung is another name for Asafoetida).

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed. I use the smallest pinch possible of asofeotida when I cook with it.

Kathryn

Not sure it qualifies as exotic since it only contains fairly standard spices but i really love ras el hanout on chicken thighs

Comment

Not a spice but I love using dehydrated and ground horseradish for seasoning thing i want to add some heat to. In my opinion it works better on beef than chilli powder. I love smoking a chuckie with salt, pepper and ground horseradish.

Comment

I use grains of paradise in my pastrami cure or rub (or both), and have a few odd things in the cabinet.

But my weird thing that I use a lot of is fresh ground nutmeg. I put that in nearly anything, sweet or savory.

Comment

Another great spice blend is togarashi.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shichimi-togarashi-seven-spice-sf-1.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	804320

"Shichimi Togarashi is a spicy powdered assortment of dried chili peppers and other seasonings. Ingredients include red chili pepper, orange peel, sesame seeds, Japanese pepper, ginger and seaweed."

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                I was going to mention this blend. Interesting taste and month sensation for me, sort of a tingly numbness

• Potkettleblack
                Potkettleblack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have some of that in my cabinet. I'm tempted to use it for an Everything Bagel topping.

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                It's great on shrimp. Paint some mayo on them and then sprinkle togarashi on and grill or pan fry.

I found this website that offers some nice curry blends and other spices. I'm going to place an order for the Kashmiri curry powder, as I love the heat level that Kashmiri pepper provides. I have some powdered Kashmiri pepper which I also use to bring the red color to a tandoori chicken recipe.

Kathryn

Comment

• Willard
                Willard commented
                Editing a comment
                fzxdoc I’ve seen this website but haven’t ordered from it. Have you ordered from there before?

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Not yet. I ordered their cookbook via Amazon. It has recipes for many of the curries that they sell. Of course sourcing some of the more elusive ingredients might not be easy, Willard .

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here