Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monkfruit in Rubs and Sauces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monkfruit in Rubs and Sauces

Has anyone used Monkfruit in BBQ rubs and sauces? It's usually mixed with erythritol and I was wondering how it interacts with the meat in terms of blending together with the other spices when it cooks?

I haven't, but ya better pray ya get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by RonB View Post
      I haven't, but ya better pray ya get it right.
      This could be a really good thing or really bad. I’m going to try it in BBBR on tritip. BBBR has a low sugar content anyway. It may not melt like sugar. I’ve never used it before.

Comment

Ive never done an extensive search but all ive seen about it is that it is stable at pasteurization temps. Which is also true of sugar. Ive never used it in rubs but i have used it in baking with no adverse events. Albeit i was following a recipe written with monk fruit, not just subbing it in. Its so much sweeter that the volume is much less.

Comment

I'll be following, I've been wondering the same thing. I may just try it on a cheap cut.

Comment

does anyone know if it has the same electrical charge properties as sugar, as in will introduce penetrate meat like sugar and salt (salt doing a much better job)?

Comment

Originally posted by grantgallagher View Post
              Ive never done an extensive search but all ive seen about it is that it is stable at pasteurization temps. Which is also true of sugar. Ive never used it in rubs but i have used it in baking with no adverse events. Albeit i was following a recipe written with monk fruit, not just subbing it in. Its so much sweeter that the volume is much less.
              BBBR calls for 1 TBSP of sugar so I put in 1/2 TBSP. I think this was one of the best tasting steaks I've made (tri-tip). I dry brined it for 48 hours (was shooting for 24 but couldn't cook it when I wanted to), added BBBR and did a reverse sear. The rub tasted great dry and on the finished product. I had a decent crust (searing on a pellet cooker without GrillGrates) and couldn't tell by flavor or texture that there was Monkfruit in the rub.

I'm going to have to try it in sauces now. So far so good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here