Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dry brine before vacuum sealing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dry brine before vacuum sealing?

so i haven't tried this but i was wondering if this would hurt the meat? what if i were to buy a ribeye roast and turn it into steaks and i salted each steak individually before vacuum sealing and freezing? would that be bad for the meat?

No, it would be fine. I dry brine my meats and then freeze them on a regular basis.

Comment

Ditto, dry brine, season, vacuum seal, cook from the frozen state.

Comment

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        @ Jerod Broussard Do you notice any impact on quality going straight to the smoker from the freezer?

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        No difference.

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        So there is no wait time between dry brining and freezing? Just salt the meat, Foodsaver it, and pop it in the freezer?

Thanks,

--Ed

Better for storage than cooking? I would think it needs some air circulation to brine better?
      What vacuums do you use?

Comment

I also have dry brined, vacuumed - with a FoodSaver - and frozen - steaks, rib roast, ribs, etc. But I've never gone straight from freezer to grate, I've always defrosted first.

Comment

Works just fine. I do that for sous vide as well.

Comment

What do you gain by dry brining then freezing?

Comment

Originally posted by pilotbum View Post
              What do you gain by dry brining then freezing?
              pilotbum Then you don't have to thaw and dry brine. You can go right from frozen to the smoker or the sous vide hot tub time machine.

Comment

This would be something very curious to get Doc Blonder to experiment on. I'm wondering if dry brining before freezing would actually help to keep the purge at bay. I would think that salt would indeed change the crystal formation of the water when it freezes, but how so I'm not sure. In any event, you certainly can't dry brine a frozen piece of meat very effectively, so I agree with doing it before freezing.

Comment

So this is only advantageous if you don't plan on cooking the meat immediately? If you buy and are saving it for a later time this would be a benefit, right?

Comment

from Stevehtn,

"... This would be something very curious to get Doc Blonder to experiment on. I'm wondering if dry brining before freezing would actually help to keep the purge at bay. I would think that salt would indeed change the crystal formation of the water when it freezes, but how so I'm not sure. ..."

This is all very interesting... we want Doc Blonder!

--Ed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here