Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken rub.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken rub.

Hey everyone. Pretty new to the Bbq scene and was wondering if someone can reccomend a rub recipe for me to try out. Going to be doing a whole chicken on the Weber kettle.

Here is one by Meathead called the Simon & Garfunkel Spice Rub and his Simon & Garfunkel Chicken Recipe. You can also look into more of his chicken recipes here.
    Last edited by JimLinebarger; December 6, 2019, 03:43 AM.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Like he said

Aside form S&G rub above mentioned, if you're looking for something less herbal and more rib rub like, try Meathead's Memphis Dust or my Huskee's Rib Rub. I think both are really good on chicken or pork interchangeably. For commercial rubs, it's hard to beat Heaven Made Products' AmazinCajun or Henrik's Hank's KC Royale Pork & Poultry. All of this is in my opinion of course.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Been doing AmazinCajun lately, good stuff. Hank’s shines well!!

That's great guys. I will try a couple and compare them.

Comment

I like a Williams Sonoma Beer Can Chicken Rub on all the chicken. Also like using the Only Marinade You'll Ever Need from Steve Raichlen.

Comment

Simon and Garfunkel is amazing. If i want to switch it up then ive been using Oakridge Gamechanger Chicken recently, as someone got me a bag, and its pretty awesome. I also really like the McCormicks Montreal Chicken and Garlic+Herb

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Oak Ridge Secret Weapon is great too!!

Make sure that you move yer hands in a circular motion, clockwise to begin with. Then, when the rub is with the grain then do it counter clockwise then the chicken will be rubbed both ways & will be happy & taste better.

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          and cluck softly while you do it.

• Charley Langer
          Charley Langer commented
          Editing a comment
          Like I always do… 😂

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        Aside form S&G rub above mentioned, if you're looking for something less herbal and more rib rub like, try Meathead's Memphis Dust or my Huskee's Rib Rub. I think both are really good on chicken or pork interchangeably. For commercial rubs, it's hard to beat Heaven Made Products' AmazinCajun or Henrik's Hank's KCY Royale Pork & Poultry. All of this is in my opinion of course.
        I concur with Huskee with respect to Meathead's Memphis Dust. Great on pork ribs, but it is now my goto on chicken as well. I usually dry brine the chicken the night before and put a nice layer of MMD on an hour or so before putting on the smoker.
        Big hit with my friends and family!

Comment

are you wanting one made salt containing, or DIY

Comment

• BBQ with Bry
            BBQ with Bry commented
            Editing a comment
            More DIY I would say

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            2 Tablespoons onion powder
            2 Tablespoons paprika
            1 Tablespoon course pepper
            1 teaspoon garlic powder

I use this after a salt, sugar brine either dry or wet.

Great suggestions. Think I will start off with the Simon and Garfunkel and take it from there

Comment

I like Meathead Simon & Garfunkel rub and add some dried lemon rind to it.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              I Like That!!!

Love me some Slap Yo Daddy all purpose rub on chicken, use it multiple times per week.

The place that put's Harry's rubs together just so happens to be located 20 minutes from me, so I am able to buy in bulk without any of the shipping charges.

Comment

• scottdware
              scottdware commented
              Editing a comment
              I love all of his rubs. I typically will use the All Purpose and Chicken on...chicken and pork

I do my own variation of S&G that I have been using on chickens and turkeys for a few months:

2 parts EACH of: Parsley, Rubbed Sage, Powdered Rosemary, Thyme, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder
            1 part: Sugar

No salt, so requires a brine first.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLinebarger View Post
              Here is one by Meathead called the Simon & Garfunkel Spice Rub and his Simon & Garfunkel Chicken Recipe. You can also look into more of his chicken recipes here.
              Hear, hear! The best chicken rub I have ever used!

Comment

Lately, using a marinade that is lime juice, olive oil, Tajin, and Meathead Poultry Rub. It works like a lazy version of the Raichlen Only Marinade, and it’s pretty amazing.

I proportion by eye. Do it all in a ziploc to avoid the raw chicken touching anything.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought a bottle of Tajin this summer after reading about it here, and have yet to use it for anything. This sounds like a start!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here