Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what-are-your-"must-have-go-to"commercially-bought-rubs-and-spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your "Must have/Go to"commercially bought rubs and spices???

Hey all. I’m looking to add some new rubs and spices to my arsenal. Since reorganizing I now have room for a half dozen or so new ones.

So what are your favorite rubs and spices?
    And why do you love them?

Thanks Steve B.

I'm just a year into this, so haven't had too much time to experiment, but I enjoy Malcom Reed/Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub and his AP Rub. I love the garlic flavor of the latter and the former just seems balanced for me; not overly strong in any area. Great color on pork butt, too. I think I'll always have these two "in stock."

Comment

• cliffdw1
      cliffdw1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Second this! His AP rub, I put that ---- on everything.
      I use both on my brisket, AP base & BBQ over top. The Hot BBQ is also good on chicken wings & legs.

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      The Killer Hogs BBQ is definitely one of my favorites. I will put His AP on my list on my list for sure.

I actually buy very few rubs. I always have a shaker of lemon pepper for wings from costco and some mccormicks grill mates varieties...but in general i use a lot of the recipes from the free side. Mrs olearys cow crust is criminally underused imo.

Comment

• Davek8282
      Davek8282 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 for Mrs O’Leary

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed. It is an awesome spice blend.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      You just pushed me into making mrs o'learys cow crust pretty soon...

Henrik has a very good line under the Hank’s brand.

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. Got His Beef rub. I really like it on Chuckies and plate ribs.
      Last edited by Steve B; November 30, 2019, 11:40 AM.

• Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes indeed!

Learned to do ribs and butts with Trimm Tabs Pig Powder. I've always got some on hand. Use to be able to get it locally but now I have to order online and grab a few when I can get shipping free. Found that if I put it on some popcorn, my wife and daughter wont take it from me... Otherwise I use the recipes here.

Comment

I've tried 3 different rubs from Big Poppa Smokers and liked them all. Money, Cash Cow and Desert Gold.

Hank's KC Royale is my go to for pork.

Comment

Ribs - Meat Mitch Competition Whomp Rub
        Tri-Tip - Loot N Booty’s What’s Your Beef & Trader Joe’s Garlic & Coffee rub
        Wings - Loot & Booty’s Gold Star Chicken rub
        Meat Church’s The Gospel
        Grilling God’s Bavkyard BBQ & their
        Southern Heat
        I like variety when I eat wings
        Grilling Gods Salt of the Gods is really good. They are having a buy 2 get 2 free.
        I have several others but those are my go to rubs.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. A few of these I haven't of heard of before. I'll check them out.

I use Butcher BBQ Steak & Brisket Rub as my go to all purpose SPG type rub.

Comment

Oak Ridge Secret Weapon on Ribs and Chicken
          Oak Ridge Santa Maria on ztri-Tip

+4 on Killer Hogs BBQ and AP

Dizzy Dust

Comment

Hi Steve,
            Our preferred seasoning is a product made by Badia. It’s called Sazón Completo. it’s readily available in Florida, most supermarkets carry it. Not sure how easy it is to find it up north, but I will have to assume it’s relatively easy. In any case, here is a link to Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Badia-Seasoni.../dp/B00CQ7HOUE

It’s good for anything and everything. I’ve fixed packer briskets, pork butts and ribs with salt, olive oil as a binder and sazón completo. That’s it. That’s all they get, plus of course smoke and cooking them low and slow.

Give it a try, it’s pretty neutral and compatible with pork, chicken, fish and of course beef.

Cheers,
            Ricardo
            Last edited by Ricardo; November 30, 2019, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Look for the Badia seasonings where Hispanic folks shop for groceries. Even the grocery in my tiny little town has their Complete Seasoning on the shelf. It's a mild but flavorful seasoning that plays well with a lot of foods, even fish.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks IowaGirl

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              At many supermarkets in Chicago.

Second City Prime Rub. Fantastic.

Pair 'The Rub' with any meat you can think of and we promise it will not disappoint!

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks.

I have been enjoying the Meat Church rubs, particularly Honey Hog lately. It is great on chicken wings and I used it on one of my turkeys this year.

Sweet Lou rub from Barker BBQ (a local Spokane guy) is great too. Still a bit sweet but a bit more heat than Honey Hog: https://www.barkerbbq.com/product-page/sweet-lou-rub

And Derek Wolf's Nashville Hot rub is another great wing rub: https://spiceology.com/collections/d...ken-derek-wolf

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Honey hog is awesome.

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Joe. I’m gonna check out Derek’s Nashville Hot. I love heat with my wings.

only a few. Cavenders Greek seasoning, Vegetable Magic, Salmon Magic.

Comment

• scottranda
              scottranda commented
              Editing a comment
              Cavenders is awesome on chicken.

Tony Chachere's. It's only good for popcorn, pickles, salad, steak (currently on a vacuum sealed New York Strip waiting to be sous vide), beef jerky, licking off your hand if you craving it but don't have anything to put it on......etc.....

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              shrimp that's going into shrimp and grits. Great on field peas that have been deep fried.

• Beefchop
              Beefchop commented
              Editing a comment
              We put that on everything here in South Louisiana.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep - that is another go-to spice mix I like to keep in the pantry. I use it on my veggies too (baked potatoes, corn, etc...)

Holy Smoke sauces and rubs made by Steve Ownby for me. I use the BBQ sauce for more than just BBQ. I mix the sauce with tomato sauce in meat loaf and add some with Red Beans and rice. He also makes some killer BBQ pickles!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here