Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All's not lost...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All's not lost...

Well, I have to say, I had one of THE best pork butts we've made in quite some time, today. Perhaps, it being the beginning of Passover, the Good Lord has offered a blessing to us all. Some folks, for religious reasons, don't eat pork. that's fine. some don't eat cows. that's OK. IMHO, a pig is a gift from G-D (like all animals) and I gratefully accept.

Meanwhile, with this yummy hunk-o-pig, we have planned to make beans with dripping and in the smoker. I, recovering from the latest bout with Iago, left instruction for HWMO for the final assembly of everything and crashed. luckily, for the most part, HWMO is well trained 9and that IS an accomplishment. no "Y" chromosome comes out of the box the way you want them. takes years of dedicated work) Anyway, I keep rub mix made up pretty much all the time. three jars. One of the personal recipe mix, one of the personal recipe plus the chili powder, and one with the rub spice, chili powder and salt & sugar.

So, he'll take the finished rub (with salt & sugar) and dress the meat. the fire is already built that afternoon and wants none but lighting. so, he'll dress the meat, light the tower and do a final battery check.

I wanted to have to Baked Beans with this cook and had the beans prepped. He thought they were to cook all the way. and, only the beans were used for a drip pan. so, I had no fond for sauce and the beans were burnt. So, I have delicious, marvelous meat, but no sauce and no beans. <sigh> better luck next time.

but, the good news it, last time we cooked, I went on with the deglazing and gathering for sauce. at the time, we had well over 2 quarts of sauce. HWMO felt I was being foolish and carrying this 'throw nothing away' lifestyle a bit far. This from the man who still refuses to sell or give away the toddler bicycles our daughter rode and can't bring himself to tos the computer monitor we used in 98. I mean, if you plug it in, it turns on. works? why toss it?

Anyway, looking to the freezer, we found a pint jar of fond & fat & gelatin frozen, and another vacuum bag with probably another half pint. that will translate into some nice sauce. and we'll keep plenty on hand.

It seems, though, that our lack is for good cause. HWMO decided to put the BBQ sauce on pretty much everything he ate, nearly right down to the Cheerios he ate for breakfast. Well, if it keeps him happy...

So, we'll have sauce and peace and all will be well.

Karon Adams, perhaps I missed it. Have you ever given detailed information on how you make your fond/drippings sauce when you barbecue? I'd be curious to see/read what you do.

DEW

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      Here ya go, Dew, I thought I had posted it. it is over under techniques in sauce & pastes. Enjoy! and for you, I'll record saucemaking today, and get the video posted.

for my rub and sauce, it is more of a technique than a recipe. it varies from cook to cook but it always comes down to a basic method. I hope this is

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      One thing I didn't mention in that technique was gelatin. if you have some pork gelatin (and if not, WHY not?) add a few tablespoons to each quart of sauce. makes it a more full bodied BBQ sauce. you don't HAVE to use it, and before I started making gelatin, I didn't think to put it in the sauce. now, if you don't have trotter jelly, you can use a packet of Knox.

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      This is great. Thanks. I recently discovered making pork gelatin from trotters for Shanghai Soup Dumplings (xiaolong bao). I had not thought of using it in bbq sauce. It seems similar to using demi glace or glace de viande in a brown sauce or gravy.

I could not get away with the drippings from pork in beans. That would be mostly fat, and that will not get by the wife, no way, no how... But, I bet it is awesome!

Comment

• Karon Adams
      Karon Adams commented
      Editing a comment
      remember that dripping isn't actually all fat. it is water, and gelatin and spice and, yes, some fat. you can always take out the beans and cook them separately once you finish the cook, then use the liquid left to make BBQ sauce, adding a small amount of it back to the beans.

Best news all night, last night, I found a 23 oz bottle of sauce!!!! Hiding on the back top shelf of the fridge!! So I have enough sauce to do me til I can make more today with fond held form last cook. I'll try to film that and post it. since I have been asked about fond sauce, might as well show ya!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here