Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mexican Herb Seasoning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mexican Herb Seasoning

So I used to get this stuff from a SoCal based olive oil company, but they were sold out of it for over a year and I decided I had to learn to make it myself. This is the greatest seasoning for Mexican chicken. I've used it on a whole bird on the rotisserie, on bone in skin on thighs, but my favorite use is boneless thighs shredded and used to stuff enchiladas. It also works great on a dry brined flank or skirt steak, thin sliced and thrown in a tortilla. Most of the components you probably already have on hand, but one key ingredient you probably don't have (I didn't) is epazote. Do not leave this out. My local grocery store didn't have it so you might need to order it online, but trust me, it's worth it.

1 3/4 teaspoons cilantro
    1 3/4 teaspoons epazote
    1 3/4 teaspoons parsley
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic
    1 1/2 teaspoons onion
    1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/4 teaspoon ginger

So there's the measurements. It's really close to the original. All the ingredients are dry. The garlic and onion are the dried minced variety, not powder. Of course, like all good rubs or seasonings there is no salt, so make sure to dry brine your meat of choice.

For the best chicken enchiladas ever, dry brine some boneless thighs. Hit them with some fresh ground black pepper. Sear them in an oven safe skillet that you can cover. I use a cast iron "combo cooker". Essentially a small dutch oven. I use the "lid" as a skillet to sear and use the deeper "pot" to cover it in the oven. Go for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven and they should come out easy to shred with two forks. Make sure to return the juices from the skillet back to the shredded chicken. Add your Mexican herbs to the chicken and mix it up. I like to let it cool, then add shredded pepper jack, some canned green chiles, and a little corn (thawed frozen is perfectly fine). Wrap that in a corn tortilla (toothpick it to keep closed), top with some enchilada sauce and a little shredded cheddar. Finish it off in the oven, then top with a dollop of sour cream.

I'm an aficionado of enchiladas. I lived in Southern California for 37 years and had access to some really good Mexican food. These enchiladas are the best I've ever had. I hope you all can enjoy them and please let me know if you have any feedback on the seasoning.

Cheers!

Love enchiladas. What company was that?

Comment

• EasyMoney
      EasyMoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Temecula Olive Oil Company. But good luck getting it. Every time I check it's out of stock. You can make your own though. =)

Thanks always looking for a good Mexican spice mix. I have used epazote for years and yes it is an essential ingredient. I use it in chili and beans also

Comment

• EasyMoney
      EasyMoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Never tried epazote in beans, but I can definitely see how that would work. Now I know what to do with my next batch of beans. Thanks for the tip!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      EasyMoney Especially in beans. BTW love the handle!! I say that to my delivery driver every day. He says "Yes."

• EasyMoney
      EasyMoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks HouseHomey. A nice older gentleman came into one of my old jobs frequently and always called me EasyMoney. He acknowledged that I worked hard, but apparently I made it look easy, which I took as a compliment.

I don't see any Mexican Oregano. Something my Mexican neighbors insisted on.
    Last edited by mountainsmoker; September 18, 2019, 05:05 PM. Reason: Got cut off before finishing my sentence.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Also remember he’s mimicking one he liked in the past.

• EasyMoney
      EasyMoney commented
      Editing a comment
      I was kind of surprised about the oregano too, but I recreated this based on the ingredients from an existing product and oregano was not listed.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Find out where the agricultural workers live. Find a grocery. Good chance you'll find all the herbs and chilie's you need.

EasyMoney I do not think I've ever seen dried cilantro, but I'll look.

Comment

• ScottyC13
      ScottyC13 commented
      Editing a comment
      coriander seeds can be used as a sub, but use less.

• EasyMoney
      EasyMoney commented
      Editing a comment
      Dried cilantro is out there. It make take some hunting around or an online order. I got a big bag of it from Penzey's so I can make a big batch of this seasoning. I don't think fresh cilantro would work well in this application. The dried stuff is toned down a lot compared to fresh and works nicely in this mix.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Just sayin, my wife said we have a jar of cilantro that she dried out. So, one can DIY.

Very cool. I’m stopping by my old Mexicano grocery on Mon. & will pick up ingredients. Can’t wait to try & I know they have epazote. Thanks. 🕶

Comment

Sounds great, thank you for sharing. Now I want to find some epazote and start playing with it in this recipe and others.

Comment

You should be able to find it in a Mexican Grocery. I order mine from Penzy's when we put together a big order to save on shipping. Be careful with Cilantro, it can lose its potency if not treated well. It should be green not brown.

Comment

• ScottyC13
          ScottyC13 commented
          Editing a comment
          ...and now I have to make another trip to the Penzey's store. LOL!

On the hunt for epazote. Shocked no chili powder.

Comment

ScottyC13 thanks for catching my misspelling. It is Penzeys and for catching it here is the store locator. .LOL. https://www.penzeys.com/locations/

Comment

This is my spice rack. they know me well. ​

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Pics didn’t come thru.

Will rey this at the weekend. Not sure if I can get epazote though. Anything I can use as a substitute or just leave it out?

Comment

• crazytown3
              crazytown3 commented
              Editing a comment
              Though it's really not very close, I have used oregano before.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here