Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Spray Bottles for thicker liquids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Spray Bottles for thicker liquids

Hey Pitmasters/friends,

I want to spray my beef down this weekend every so often with Guiness. Will a normal Dollar Store spray bottle work or do you guys/gals know if I gotta get a certain bottle that will do the trick. A few weeks ago I had a little rub get into my ACV spray and it clogged the thing up.

If you're just using Guinness you should be okay. The only thing that I would be leery of is the pressure build up in the jug from the Guinness as it might blow its top. In the past when using a bottle of beer, I just hold my thumb over the top, give the bottle a shake and then just spray it. Yeah, you might have a foaming beer when you're done, but it does give you an excuse to kill it and open a fresh one.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Opening a fresh one is always a good idea.

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahhhh. Good tip. I like where your heads at.

I'm thinking just leave the Guinness open in the fridge for a couple of days and let it go completely flat. That should eliminate any pressure buildup in the spray bottle.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      I am glad you clarified that...

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't put that but that's exactly what I was going to do (let it go flat). I didn't know if there was debris in the bottom. Whenever I finish a pint or 6 there is only that gorgeous dark froth at the bottom.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      As yall likely know, I ration myself two Boppers of Guinness Extry Stout, per diem. Sometimes, I only drink one, other times, due to bein extremely overfull of BBQ, I might have already opened th 2nd one, but am too full to comfortably finish it...I jus put th cap back on, an chuck it in my icebox, fer tomorrow. Either I'll drink it, after a fresh one, or it becomes cookin beer. Generally 1 shot of brown likker, as beddy-bye time approacheth, occasionally two.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 12, 2019, 05:51 PM.

Since joeyerke brought this up. Is there a good spray bottle that can handle a little grit and not clog up? We use these at work and figure I could trim the nozzle back some to get a bigger hole.
    Last edited by HawkerXP; September 12, 2019, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I can see it now, www.HXP-BBQaccessories.com

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      Good call!

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been using wash bottles for 44 years. These won't put on out a a "spray". Trimming the tip only give you varying degrees of streams.

It is normally not recommended that you open the lid and spray the meat. First you are cooling your pit and second your cooling the meat. If you want to make a glaze of the Guinness and apply the last 30 & 15 minutes.

Comment

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      I know it's not recommended and I know people use the phase "If you're looking, you aint cooking" but the science behind it supports opening to spray minimally. I spray about every 3 hours. That shouldn't ruin it.The heat will build back up within minutes and the final product is worth it. Remember smoke sticks to cold stuff. Up until now I have only ever used ICE COLD ACV to spray on my meats. It sucks that smoke up and forms a super nice crust.

I would use a regular spray bottle that you get from the hardware store. That is what I use for my spritz. Generally, I am using AVC, champagne vinegar and just a touch of liquid aminos. If you put rub in the bottle, that is a different story, but you really don't need to do that. Guinness is filtered before being bottled, so it should pass through the sprayer head just fine. The solids in the Guinness are way to small to clog anything up.

I usually spritz once every hour after the first hour has gone by. I will do this for the subsequent 3 hours or so on brisket. Then I just let it ride. It helps to keep the bark nice and moist. Just don't over do it. One spritz every hour is totally fine. It will not extend your cooking time by too much, just be light with it. You only want a mist so you are not getting it too wet and/or allowing your rub to run off.

Your pit will recover just fine as long as you don't leave the lid open too long. Which should not be a problem if you are simply spritzing the meat. Having the lid open for 30 seconds to spray the meat is nothing over the course of a long smoke.

Comment

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      Your comment A) is exactly what I normally do. B) Was exactly what I was thinking.

I think you'd be better off just mopping it on (however, I'm not actually speaking from experience here).
    Last edited by Murdy; September 12, 2019, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not a mop guy. I find it rubs to much of the rub off! I may be wrong but thats what it appears to do.

joeyerke I'd haveta think that a regular ol sprayer bottle would work jus fine, an as I said above, Guinness is jus fine fer drinkin th next day, when I put th still slightly bent cap on it, an fer a couple few days, as cooker beer. It don't seal it up, airtight, like, Guinness isn't really heavily carbonated

Seems to me it'd be less fuss to use 'overnighted Guinness, rather than a fresh one, no foam to mess with ya.

Im not thinkin that th viscosity would be an issue, really isn't all that viscous, just darker.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb I appreciate th tip of yer hat, lol, Brother, but no hangins on my account over a flat Guinness, please...

I've witnessed a few hangins, an th aftermaths of even more, an it jus ain't never purty...

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here