Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taking a Powder...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a Powder...

Howdy -

On a whim, I perused the dehydrated powders available from the spice barn (spicebarn.com). Low and behold, they have everything from Apple Cider Vinegar Powder to Xanthan Gum. I thought I'd like to experiment, so I picked up some Soy Sauce Powder and Some Worcestershire Sauce powder to try in a few rubs in the name of science.

You know that deep, umami-ish, complex flavor that a commercial rub sometimes has that you just can't replicate? Well, this stuff nails it. I use a little of the Worcestershire in some of my rubs now (it's kind of sweet, kind of salty) and find that it really kicks them up a notch.

I use the soy sauce powder in the Simon and Garfunkel rub with great results.

I also grind a beef bullion cube to a powder and throw that in some of my beef rubs. Been pretty happy with the results so far. Anyone else experimented with these ingredients? Would love to hear how you used them.

Glad to hear more about it, this video was the first I had heard of them. I love soy sauce and Worcestershire so it has to be good.

Comment

No, but I saw some black cubes of some sort that this guy that worked for Chris Lilly was rubbing on some briskets.

Comment

• scorched_porch
        scorched_porch commented
        Editing a comment
        Beef Bullion. I have his "Big Bob Gibson" book and he uses it in a few rubs.

I use Worcestershire Sauce powder in making rubs, and instant french onion soup mix.

I have the Worcestershire Sauce powder, Apple Cider Vinegar Powder, and Lemon powder. I want to try to recreate a
      powder version of my sauce.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here