Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a Coffee Rub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a Coffee Rub

I've got some tri tip defrosting in the fridge and was thinking of doing something different, as I never stray very far from SPOG when I do beef. Was thinking of making a batch of Fette Sau's Coffee Rub from Steven Raichlen's Barbeque Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades.

This question is more general, though. When making a coffee rub, how fine should I grind the coffee? Finer than for drip, I'm sure. But a grind suitable for espresso? Powdery like Turkish coffee? I've got an adjustable burr grinder, so I can do anything, but I'd rather get good advice here than mess around with it and ruin a good thing with my skeptical wife.

TIA.

I've done tons of coffee rubs and to be perfectly honest, I've never even considered the grind of the coffee I'm using. Not sure it is really going to matter that much. I've always just used whatever I've had on hand with no issues.

Comment

I would do it fine but not powdery. What you're essentially getting from the coffee are the essential oils which helps develop that bark. If you want to go commercial, I highly recommend Oakridge BBQ's Carne Crosta Coffee rub. Either way, enjoy that tri-tip !!

Comment

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a tasty rub. I bought a bag last time you mentioned it in a post.

• barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ll second the carne crosta rub. I like it so much it’s my go to rub. I have to switch it up a bit every now and then but normally that’s what I season with.

Spiceology's Cowboy Coffee is in my current rotation and maybe the first coffee rub I've actually liked.

Here's a closeup of the grind.

Comment

Potkettleblack - thanks, that helps. Looks about like an espresso grind.

Comment

I just grind like drip coffee, never really thought about the grind. Here's my recipe for cocoa/coffee rub, it's really good.

1 Tbs. finely ground espresso coffee beans
          1 Tbs. pure ancho chile powder
          1 tsp. natural cocoa powder
          1 tsp. granulated garlic
          1/2 tsp. ground cumin
          1/2 tsp. brown sugar
          1/2 tsp. ground fennel seed
          1/8 tsp. ground allspice
          4 tsp. kosher salt
          2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Comment

I use the expresso grind when adding coffee to my rubs. Quick easy one is 50/50 by volume byrons butt rub and coffee. Works for beef.

Comment

I actually use instant coffee. You get the flavor throughout without the clumping and burning issue. Gotta get over the "instant" thing tho!

Comment

Boy, this thread is leading me down the rabbit hole. Thanks for the inspiration ... I think.

Comment

I ended up doing it as an espresso grind, more or less. The coffee part worked great, the rest of the Fette Sau rub, so so. It's basically sugar, coffee, salt (omitted because I dry brine), pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and cumin. I liked the cinnamon and the heat, but overall something just didn't work.

Comment

MH has a recipe in the book, but doesn't seem like it's on the free site. Cowboy Java Rub. I've used it before and it was good. I am doing a tri tip this weekend. I'm debating on using it. Either that of Big Bad Beef rub.

1 tbs brown sugar
                  1 tbs ground coffee
                  1/4 ts ground cinnamon
                  1 ts crushed black peppercorns

mix it

makes about 2.5 tbs enough for 6 ribeyes.

Comment

• RichieB
                    RichieB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    it's on pg 171 in the book.

I use Chris Lily's coffee rub recipe all the time on beef and pork chops. The best example I can give is the grind you would use in a coffee machine, not a percolator or French press, that would be too coarse. Not like espresso, too fine IMO. Think a preground bag of Folgers.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here