Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet rub/paste vs. dry rub for ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet rub/paste vs. dry rub for ribs

I am new to the BBQ community and wanted to see what you all thought about a wet rub/paste on ribs vs a dry rub.

I have a homemade chili paste that I use to make chili con carne that is an ancho chili and new mexican pepper blend. I was thinking about adding honey, brown sugar, and a few other ingredients in my next batch and slather it on the ribs before smoking instead of a dry rub.

Are there any disadvantages to using a paste vs a dry rub? Has anyone had any experience with anything similar?

You should give it a shot and let us know what you think. Maybe do a side by side comparison?

Comment

Greetings from South Africa.
      I would use the wet rub near the end of the cook. Depending on how much sugar you use there is the possibly of burning the sugar.
      Sounds like a nice basting.

Comment

Welcome from Colorado ... I personally prefer a dry rub on ribs ... which doesn't mean that wet wouldn't also be just fine.

Comment

Welcome from TN. I do a wet marinade sometimes - the family really likes it. But I have done a wet rub. Like Attjack said - maybe try a comparison, and let us know how it goes.

Comment

No inherent problem with a wet rub. After all, a dry rub + binder = wet rub. I would just keep an eye on the amount of sugar, as it could burn, like holehogg says.

But then again, most dry rubs for ribs I have seen also have a fair amount of sugar. So...

Go for it and tell us how it goes!

Comment

• reddirtbert
              reddirtbert commented
              Editing a comment
              That's exactly what I was thinking, probably around the same moister content as a binder + rub in my paste. It's much less a marinade than

As for sugar I was just looking at Meathead's Memphis Dust which was around 30% white sugar, 30% brown sugar and 40% spices. Given the feedback from you all I think I may scale back on sugar though.

Conventional wisdom among my friends is that one doesn't want to smoke a sauce because there is a chance that it will absorb too much smoke during the time the ribs are smoking. The idea is that you put wet sauces on at the end of the cook. BUT, we are all about trying things around here! One thing I always try to consider is whether or not "conventional" is correct. How do we know the "right" way is the "right" way if we are not open to whether or not it works other ways? Looking forward to your results!!!

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Well put Sir

Welcome from the California Delta. As others have said, try it and let us know.

Comment

First, welcome from Maryland. We love experimentation here so hoping you might give it a try both way and let us see and hear the results.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I'd go for it. Maybe just half a rack the first time to see how it goes.

Comment

Welcome from Arizona! I like the way your mind works, keep experimenting and let us know what you think!

Don't forget, the proof of the cook is in the pictures you post. (Besides, that way we get to drool more)!

Comment

I just did a wet rub on a prime rib and it was very good. I see no reason that you can't use one on ribs. After all some recipes call for a mustard rub and then the dry rub. I would keep sugar to less than 20% of the rub. Use dark brown to amp up the flavor.

Comment

Sounds like you have a really nice flavor combination going there!

Comment

Update:
                        This is a pre smoker picture. Left is dry rub. Right is the paste.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Let us know how they come out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here